Location: Locust Valley, New York
Type: Full Time
The successful candidate will teach grade-level Spanish classes for grades 5-8. As a full-time faculty position, this role may also include serving as a student advisor and supporting a co-curricular activity by coaching a sport or advising a major school activity. All faculty members are expected to support activities and events that contribute to the life of the school and to attend departmental, divisional and all-school staff meetings.
Ability to talk and hear; stand and sit for extended periods of time; possibly exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry or otherwise move objects. The ability to move from across and around campus grounds.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Friends Academy is committed to our guiding principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome candidates representing the diversity of the world as we deepen and elevate our educational program.
Friends Academy is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring and retaining exceptional, dedicated people of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of age, color, disability status, gender identity or expression, genetics, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. It is Friends Academy’s policy to comply with all applicable laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.
We invite you to read our community welcome letter from our Director of Diversity, Equity, + Inclusion
Qualifications & Education: A successful candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- An undergraduate degree in Spanish, Spanish education, or a similar discipline is required, graduate degree is preferred
- Successful middle school teaching experience
- Experience designing and delivering middle school language instruction
- Demonstrated mastery with an oral proficiency pedagogy
- Demonstrated success with collaboration on teaching teams
- Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal skills
- Three to five years of successful independent school teaching experience.
To be considered for this position, please send the following to the FA recruitment address (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A cover letter expressing interest in and why candidate is qualified for the position;
- A statement of educational philosophy;
- Three to five professional references;
Connections working at Friends Academy
About Friends Academy
We achieve educational excellence by committing to the highest standards of learning and living. Our diverse and welcoming community is strengthened by our Quaker values, which empower our students to inquire, reflect, and engage in their classrooms, in their neighborhoods, and in the world. Because when we inspire students to learn and live with purpose, they achieve greatness without sacrificing goodness.