Location: San Jose, California
Type: Full Time
BASIS Independent Silicon Valley Upper is seeking qualified candidates for a Latin Substitute Teacher (Grades 6-8) from April to June and August to November 2023!
Who We Are
BASIS Independent Schools is a national network of PreK–12 private, secular schools that educate students to the highest international levels. Our ten campuses, located in some of the most bustling, dynamic metropolitan areas in the country, are part of the BASIS Curriculum Schools global network. We believe in setting a higher standard for students and promoting self-reliance and accountability in a culture where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes.
Ranked as the "Best High School for STEM in California," our campus in San Jose, California is in the center of one of the most influential regions in the world. As such, our facility and campus speaks to the culture of our program and the type of learning community that grows here. BASIS Independent Silicon Valley is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What We're Looking For
BASIS Independent teachers are given the freedom to present the material in their own way, while achieving clearly defined goals for student understanding. We encourage teachers to bring their passion for their subject into the classroom to excite students and engage them with the material.
This position is temporary from April to June, and August to November 2023.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject-specific lessons in Latin.
- Provide subject instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment, and deliver exceptional results for all students.
- Implement BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students’ education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS Independent teachers to form a community of smart, talented, and interesting people who are passionate about education and readily willing to work in a professional, academic environment.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of students’ academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
Essential Teacher Qualifications
- Has deep knowledge of subject taught
- Able to differentiate instruction
- Able to create a positive classroom community and build relationships with students
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons
- Skilled in classroom management (high warm and high firm)
- Has excitement, joy, and passion for teaching kids and personal development/learning
- Has strong verbal and written communication skills with kids, employees, and parents
- Open to feedback and continuous growth
- Creative in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Cooperative, collaborative, supportive, flexible
- Well organized
- Has a strong work ethic and “do whatever it takes” mindset
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree in the subject area. Coursework or experience in education is not required, nor is certification. Candidates must have the ability to obtain a fingerprint clearance card.
Preferred Qualifications: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children- not necessarily in the classroom- and be open to new ideas in teaching.
BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Salary - Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience.
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Even if you don't contribute to your 401K, we will contribute 3% and will match up to 9% after five years.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Connections working at BASIS Independent Silicon Valley Upper
About BASIS Independent Silicon Valley Upper
BASIS Independent Fremont opened in 2016 as the fourth campus in our family of independent schools. Our campus is located in the southeast San Francisco Bay Area, and was thoughtfully fitted to serve the needs of our world-acclaimed program in a Transitional Kindergarten–grade 8 setting. Whether through our classrooms filled with natural light, our outdoor space, or our gymnasium, BASIS Independent Fremont offers plenty of opportunities for students to discover their passions in and out of the classroom.