Location: PASADENA, California
Type: Full Time
Sequoyah is an independent K-12 day school in Pasadena California offering an innovative college-preparatory curriculum in a student-centered, experiential, humanistic environment. The school offers a developmentally appropriate program from elementary grades through high school. In keeping with its mission, “A Sequoyah education challenges the mind, nurtures the heart, and celebrates human dignity,” the school’s program supports a student’s social and emotional growth, and academic progress. The school was founded in 1958 and recently expanded its highly regarded elementary and junior high program to include a high school. The high school campus is located just a few miles away from the K-8 campus.
Reports to: Head of School
Supervises: one direct report (or equivalent)
Start Date: July 1, 2023 or beyond as negotiated
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advance Sequoyah’s goals to increase engagement with constituencies through internal and external communications and outreach.
- Develop and amplify communications that underscore Sequoyah’s history, culture, values, educational philosophy, and traditions.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the school’s communication priorities, such as outreach, visibility, and marketing across divisions and departments, including school websites and segments of the Family Portal, design and print production, print and digital advertising, video production, in-house and outsourced signage, event publicity, social media, media relations, and brand management.
- Serve as an advisor to the Head of School, Assistant Head of School, High School Director, Director of Advancement, and Director of Admissions on matters pertaining to the school’s communications, including crisis communications.
- Support the Head of School, Board of Trustees, and others as directed by the Head of School by drafting and editing communications including correspondence.
- Serve as executive editor for schoolwide communications assuring quality and consistency across platforms (inclusive of policies, procedures, and guidelines; the printed school magazine; and digital annual report) and functions (including professionals and volunteers).
- Develop and manage integration of key messages for varied vehicles and multiple departments (i.e., print and online marketing including social media, collateral, and promotional materials for Admissions, Advancement, Alumni, Summerhouse, etc.).
- Oversee the coordination of graphic design, printing, advertising, photography, videography, writing, editing, visual identity, speeches/remarks, and online content.
- Direct strategic publicity for special on- and off-campus events that enhances the school’s visibility and affinity among its constituent groups, including prospective families, current students and their parents, alumni, and friends of Sequoyah.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Proven success as an administrator responsible for communications and marketing
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; graphic and web design and skills a plus
- Understanding of the inner workings of independent schools or educational settings
- Fundamental belief in the value of diversity in all of its forms within a community
- Cultural competence, demonstrated in personal values, actions, and critical analysis of professional output for effective communication
- Flexibility and creativity in a fast-moving, multi-campus environment with demonstrated skill in managing multiple projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines
- Capacity to think strategically and creatively problem solve
- Ability to develop, monitor, and adhere to budgets and production schedules
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong collaborative working style
- Managerial experience a plus
- A master’s degree in a related field desired but not required
The Director of Communications will take on other duties as assigned from time to time by the Head of School and must be willing to work evenings and occasional weekends to fulfill responsibilities.
To apply, interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Writing samples will be requested as candidates move forward in the process.
Sequoyah School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any phase of employment. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or any other legally protected status.