Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Type: Full Time
This is a full time position in our middle school, teaching English.
Excellent faculty members are a cornerstone of the student experience and the key to implementing our Mission Statement. We believe that teachers should:
- Be passionate about education
- Possess a depth of knowledge, pedagogical and curricular
- Be self-reflective and strive for continual growth
- Participate actively in the school community
- Uphold high standards of professionalism
- Be innovative and adaptable
- Create engaging, safe, and comfortable learning environments
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
- Teach students basic academic, social, and other foundational skills at the middle school level.
- Communicate with parents, guardians, and other faculty members in order to aid in the overall development and progression of students.
- Document information regarding students’ progress, grades, records, etc.
- Take part in the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies related to student instruction.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct student records as required by administrative regulations.
- Prepare reports on students (including grades and other activities) as required by administration.
Developing/Evaluating Objectives and Strategies
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, including demonstrations and work time for students to observe, question, and investigate.
Training and Teaching Others
- Teach daily classes, organize lesson plans.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Prepare children for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Director of Middle School
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES NECESSARY:
- Education and training
- English language
- Computer, electronics and Internet (including electronic mail)
- Effective instruction
- Different learning strategies
- Reading comprehension
- Critical thinking
- Collaboration with colleagues to ensure a collegial environment
- Active listening
- Speaking effectively
- Writing clearly and concisely
- Judgment and decision making
- Time management
- Working independently
- Sound Intuition and instincts
TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND MACHINES:
- Typical classroom supplies (e.g., calculators, cutting boards, writing instruments, etc.)
- Smart TVs, instructional boards and document cameras
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work occurs in an indoors environment. Employees may work more than 40 hours per week as needed. Work requires extensive use of a computer and electronic mail.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Perform minimal physical activities that require use of arms, legs and moving whole body for standing, walking, sitting, bending, grasping, or stooping/kneeling.
- Clear vision at 20 inches or less.
- Normal hearing requirements.
- No criminal background or history of drug or alcohol abuse.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching experience preferred
Connections working at North Cross School
About North Cross School
Our mission: North Cross School is an independent, nonsectarian, college-preparatory school located in Roanoke, Virginia, that serves children from early childhood (age 3) through twelfth grade. ?North Cross provides a rigorous academic curriculum, competitive with the best college-preparatory schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
While we explicitly recognize the importance of intellectual development and academic achievement, we also strive to promote personal integrity, empathy, and responsibility to self and community. Through this, our graduates will act as leaders in the local and global communities, persons of intellectual and moral courage, and scholars in the service of others.