Location: Marietta, Georgia
Type: Full Time
Walker School’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
Interested applicants, must complete the online application on the Careers Page at www.thewalkerschool.org/about/careers and be prepared to provide a resume, cover letter, educational philosophy, and list of three professional references during the application process.
4 Year Degree
Walker seeks an energetic and dedicated individual for a Middle School English position beginning with the 2023-24 school year. Key learning outcomes for our students include developing an awareness of their role as world citizens, emphasizing experiential education, and encouraging their participation in local, national, and global communities. The teaching load is five sections of a combination of 6th, 7th, or 8th-grade English classes with no more than two preparations. Total student contact will be between 70 and 100.
The ideal candidate will be energetic, creative, and dedicated to teaching at the Middle School level and be capable of teaching across multiple English disciplines (i.e. writing, literature, expression, grammar, etc.). They must have a growth mindset, be flexible, be comfortable with change, and be open to collaboration and experimentation. The candidate must be open to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning of practice as well as the subject area. Preference will be given to candidates interested in contributing to the full life of the school through extracurricular activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Participate in grade-level and core teams
- Conduct Advisory for 12-15 students
- Be available for students from 3:15– 3:45 every afternoon for extra work/tutorial time
- Help to organize field trips and other special events and chaperone one multi-day grade-level trip per year that may be out of town.
- Perform required supervisory duties (i.e. lunchroom, recess, carpool supervision, etc.) as required
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences and other conferences as required
- Participate in admission-related activities (i.e. Open Houses, Admission Testing, etc.) as needed
- Participate in the life of the school by coaching or advising extracurricular activities
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in middle-grade level instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology in content delivery/skill development
- Experience with inquiry-based learning and student-centered pedagogy
- Demonstrated commitment to the Walker School’s ideals: Education for democracy, equity and inclusion, community service, multiculturalism, and environmental stewardship
Connections working at The Walker School
About The Walker School
The Walker School is metro Atlanta’s top Pre-K (3)-12th-grade school open to all faiths, and our commitment to diversity provides a safe atmosphere for students to discover who they are and how to navigate successfully an ever-changing world. At the Walker School, the infinite worth and dignity of each student define our approach to learning. With an average class size of 15 students, each child is known, challenged, supported, and encouraged to explore. The Walker School is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Walker. Our core value of the infinite worth and dignity of the individual undergirds our mission as faculty and staff. We are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.