Location: Arden, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Christ School’s Learning Resources Program (LR) supports students as they develop strategies necessary to meet the academic challenges of the school’s rigorous college preparatory curriculum. Integral to the program’s success is students’ willingness to be productive, successful students, open to the techniques and proactive mindset developed in the small classes they attend during the school day. Christ School seeks an encouraging and innovative leader who will implement and strengthen the LR Program’s curriculum, assist and evaluate its 4-6 faculty, coordinate student placement and accommodations, and manage various academic resources available to all students and faculty. In addition, this individual will be an integral part of the school’s residential life program. This is a full-time, 10-month position with limited responsibilities in June and July.
The Director of Learning Support Services:
- Trains, guides, and evaluates 4-6 Learning Resources teachers; develops and maintains the department’s lesson pool;
- Teaches two Learning Resources classes (2-4 students per class);
- Provides counsel for students, parents, and the Admissions Office throughout the application and registration processes to assess learning differences and ensure proper placement;
- Distills psychoeducational evaluations and creates accommodation plans to guide faculty as they support students with learning differences in multiple contexts;
- Provides professional education opportunities for faculty and staff to learn about the most effective ways to support students with learning differences;
- Recommends and facilitates outside evaluations or additional levels of support for all students (ESSH, Peer Tutors, Extra Help, professional tutors) based on performance;
- Prepares and submits applications for standardized testing accommodations (College Board and ACT);
- Coordinates the school’s Evening Supported Study Hall (ESSH) and Sunday afternoon study hall; trains faculty and staff assigned to those support sessions;
- Oversees the school’s robust Peer Tutoring Program; supports Math Lab and Writing Center faculty;
- Manages the school’s Media Center (small on-site collection, website, and databases) and presents database/research information to classes or individual students upon request;
- Monitors Learning Resources and Media Center budgets; and,
- Attends all school and faculty functions during the academic day such as assemblies, chapel services, and faculty meetings.
Additional Athletic/Afternoon and Residential Life responsibilities will vary based on the candidate’s experience and interests, as well as the school’s needs. Candidates should be prepared to take on a combination of the following:
- Coaching sports teams or leading Outdoor Programs (biking, hiking, climbing, etc.); or directing afternoon programs and clubs (Drama, Quiz Bowl, literary magazine, etc.)
- Supervising a dormitory weekly, either as a resident or adjunct faculty member
- Providing transportation and supervision for weekend activities (1 weekend every 5 weeks)
- Mentoring a small group of students through an advising program
This position is a 10-month, academic-year appointment with minimal responsibilities in June and July that includes the following benefits:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- TIAA 10% match (optional at this level)
- Generous professional development and continuing education support
- Dining for faculty member and family (10 months)
- Limited access to gym facilities, tennis courts, and track; unlimited access to 10 miles of scenic campus trails
- YMCA membership (school covers half for employee and family)
- Employee Assistance Program (mental health counseling for employee)
- Housing, based on availability
About Christ School:
Founded in 1900, Christ School is an all-boys college preparatory boarding school for 300 students in grades 8 through 12. The school is affiliated with the Episcopal Church and sits on 500 scenic acres, nine miles south of Asheville, North Carolina. The school’s mission is to “produce educated men of good character, prepared for both scholastic achievement in college and productive citizenship in adult society.” We do this through programming and relationships built around our Four Pillars: Leadership, Academic Rigor, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor.
Students come from 18 states and six foreign countries to attend Christ School. All world faiths are represented and welcome in our community.
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other legally protected status.
For more information about our programs, faculty, and history, please visit our website or social media platforms: christschool.org, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Contact and Application Information:
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume with a cover letter indicating a specific interest in serving as the Director of Learning Resources at Christ School to Steve Stay, Executive Assistant to the Head of School. Direct specific questions about the position to Emily Pulsifer, Dean of Academics (firstname.lastname@example.org ), (828) 684-6232, ext. 122.
Skills and Attributes
- An approach to leadership that is rooted in generosity, humor, and professionalism
- A passion for teaching and learning
- Strong communication, time management, and interpersonal skills
- The ability to interpret psychoeducational testing reports and reports typically used to develop 504 Plans and Individual Educational Plans (IEPs)
- Genuine interest in the development of adolescent boys and a commitment to Christ School’s mission to help them grow into “young men of good character”
- A Master's Degree in Education or a related field; a background in Special Education, preferred
- Classroom teaching experience; preferably in middle or high school
- Experience implementing support services for students with learning differences
- Management experience, preferably in education
Connections working at Christ School
About Christ School
Christ School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for boys located in Asheville, NC. We offer a competitive academic curriculum, intramural and varsity athletics, spiritual development and a work program open to students of all faiths and backgrounds from around the world.
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, handicap, veteran’s status, or any other legally protected status.
More Jobs from This Employer