Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
In service to the Penn Charter Summer Camps, a Day Camp counselor must embrace and model curiosity and a willingness to work with children. In this position, counselors work closely and compassionately with the campers, Day Camp staff and families, and the Day Camp director. Additionally, they must demonstrate a desired commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion both in their service and in building relationships. Day Camp Counselors are seasonal, temporary employees. The work schedule is Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 3:45 pm, June 20-July 28th. All counselors must attend mandatory orientation training as a prerequisite condition of employment.
Day Camp counselors are responsible for:
- Working with other camp staff members to execute camp activities
- Supervising campers and ensuring their safety, skill development, growth, skill achievement and their well being
- Providing guidance, motivation, and support to all campers/camp visitors
- Supporting campers and Lead counselors in age-appropriate activities
- Mediating any camper disputes or seek guidance from Lead counselors
- Adhering to a camp schedule provided by the Day Camp Director
- Ensuring, cleaning and maintaining proper use of camp equipment
- Monitoring campers to prevent accidents and to ensure compliance with camp rules
- Reports details of incidents, such as accidents or rules violations to the Day Camp Director
- Helping campers transitions to and from pool area, tennis courts, and campus fields
- Monitoring and supervising campers during free play
- Helping campers during dismissals and drop off
- Knowing, following, and enforcing, all safety guidelines associated with the Day Camp programs, including knowing the whereabouts of your campers at all times.
- Participating in staff meetings
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong work ethic, energetic, empathetic, and motivated
- Strong organizational skills, punctuality, and patience
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Enjoys being in the company of children
- Physical capability to: Frequently lift or move weight as in lifting, carrying materials up to 20 lbs. Repetitively bend, stretch and stoop, work with children on the floor, work outdoors in a variety of weather, fully maintain sight and sound supervision of children
- Physical ability to participate in activities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential function
Required education and experience
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Student employees must be entering 9th through 12 grades
- Student working papers
- Two Professional References who can speak to the applicant’s character, qualifications and work ethic (Relatives are not considered professional references)
Preferred education and experience
- Experience working with and supervising children or employment at a previous camp.
- Current Upper School students in grades 9-12 are encouraged to apply.
Prior to hiring, we ask all potential employees to be vaccinated and protected from the life-threatening impact of COVID 19. At Penn Charter we have supported our community's efforts to eradicate the spread of COVID 19 by facilitating access to Covid-19 vaccinations for all current employees and eligible students.
William Penn Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connections working at https://www.penncharter.com/about-us
William Penn Charter School is an all gender, Quaker, coeducational, PreK-12 independent day school in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia. Established in 1689 by William Penn and members of the Religious Society of Friends, Penn Charter values scholarship and inquiry. Our school emphasizes academics, the arts, athletics, spiritual awareness and service learning.