Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
In service to the Penn Charter Summer Camps, a Sports Camp counselor embraces and models curiosity and a desire for professional and personal growth. In this position, counselors work closely and compassionately with the campers, sports camp staff and families, and the Sports Camp Director. Additionally, they also demonstrate a desired commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion both in their service and in building relationships. Sports Camp Counselors are seasonal, temporary employees. The work schedule is Monday through Friday 8:30 am - 3:45 pm, June 20-July 28th. All counselors must attend mandatory orientation training as a prerequisite condition of employment.
Sports Camp counselors are responsible for:
- Working collaboratively with other camp staff members to plan and coordinate camp activities
- Providing guidance, motivation, and support to all campers/camp visitors
- Ensuring camper have a safe, enjoyable experience
- Leading, monitoring and supervising campers during age-appropriate activities
- Organizing team games (i.e. basketball, soccer, baseball), explaining the rules, and acting as a referee/umpire throughout the game
- Ensuring campers’ daily medical needs are met
- Communicating with parents and answering questions in a positive manner
- Ensuring cleaning, maintenance and proper use of camp equipment
- Following all safety rules for employees and campers
- Reporting details of incidents, such as accidents or rules violations to the Sports Camp Director immediately
- Guiding campers during transitions to and from the pool area, tennis courts, fields etc.
- Providing daily assistance during campers’ arrival and dismissal
- Following proper Covid protocols
- Participating in staff meetings
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Energetic, empathetic, motivated, and patient
- Work ethic that reflects timeliness, a positive attitude and teamwork
- Physical capability to: Frequently lift or move weight as in lifting, carrying materials up to 20 lbs. Repetitively bend, stretch and stoop, work with children on the floor, work outdoors in a variety of weather, fully maintain sight and sound supervision of children
- Physical ability to participate in activities.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential function
Required education and experience
- Student applicants entering grades 9 through 12.
- Student working papers
- Experience playing organized sports such as baseball, football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, hockey etc.
- Two Professional References who can speak to the applicant’s character, qualifications and work ethic (Relatives are not considered professional references.)
Preferred education and experience
- Experience working with and supervising children or employment at a previous camp.
- Current Upper School students in grades 9-12 are encouraged to apply.
Prior to hiring, we ask all potential employees to be fully vaccinated and protected from the life-threatening impact of COVID 19. At Penn Charter we have supported our community's efforts to eradicate the spread of COVID 19 by facilitating access to Covid-19 vaccinations for all current employees and eligible students.
William Penn Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Connections working at https://www.penncharter.com/about-us
William Penn Charter School is an all gender, Quaker, coeducational, PreK-12 independent day school in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia. Established in 1689 by William Penn and members of the Religious Society of Friends, Penn Charter values scholarship and inquiry. Our school emphasizes academics, the arts, athletics, spiritual awareness and service learning.