Location: Studio City, California
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Do you have an interest and experience in teaching high school students in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum and are ready to immerse yourself in the life of the school? We are looking for an exceptional individual to undertake a full-time (four sections) position in the History/Social Studies Department at our Upper School (grades 10-12) teaching a mix of its modern world history and United States history courses. We’re looking for someone who can demonstrate a strong knowledge, educational background and/or teaching experience in United States history and modern world history/global studies. Future leadership opportunities within the department are possible.
The History Department/Social Studies Department highly values team teaching and intra-departmental collegiality. Team teaching entails:
- Comfort working with a cohort of colleagues teaching core courses;
- Collaboration with colleagues in the creation and implementation of courses that they teach;
- and adherence to department and team norms such as:
- Use of common curriculum and textbook
- Adopting and utilizing a common set of skills benchmarks and assessment regimen
- Implementing and adhering to common rubrics and grading norms
- Exercising pacing through course curriculum in alignment with the team
We are an independent school consisting of two campuses located in Los Angeles, California. We have approximately 1,600 curious, thoughtful, and inspiring students enrolled in grades seven through twelve.
We are committed to creating a community of belonging and actively strive to be a diverse and inclusive community. We do not discriminate on any basis. We seek candidates who demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members; have an ability to work flexibly, independently, and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds; and have a capacity to serve as a model of openness, generosity, and acceptance.
We’re looking for:
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in history or a related field
- The ability to teach courses such as modern world history and United States history
- Strong communication skills
- A love for teaching and working with students and expect to meet with students in and outside of class time.
- Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in the classroom
- A “team-player” mindset with a collaborative attitude to work well within a department and within course-level teams
- Demonstrated ability to convey concepts in a clear and concise manner to students, to elicit meaningful output from students, to organize and structure purposeful class time, and to foster an engaging learning environment
- Devotion to continued professional development
- Collegial, respectful, professional and an active participant in Department activities and be actively involved in the life and community of the school outside of the classroom
Compensation: Anticipated base compensation is $75,000-$90,000 depending on experience. The position will begin August 2023.
Great benefits we offer:
- Top tier medical, dental, and vision coverage with zero to low premium contributions for you and eligible dependents
- 403(b) Retirement with a 10% match and immediate vesting
- Cafeteria allowance – lunch is on us!
- Professional development support including continuing education
- Personal Growth Grants
- Relocation Assistance
- Employee Affinity and Resource Groups
- Mental wellness resources and workshops
- Partially subsidized employee housing (subject to availability)
- Tickets to local sporting and entertainment events
- Discount at the school bookstore (get your HW swag!)