Location: San Rafael, California
Type: Full Time
Facilities or Plant Operations
Salary will be based on experience
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Facilities, Safety & Operations (“the Director”) is charged with managing the school’s plant services, facility use, maintenance and renovation of buildings, grounds, landscaping, campus security, custodial services, transportation assets, student transportation services, construction activities, and telecommunication systems. All management and oversight of the school’s physical assets and properties is performed from an operational and strategic perspective.
The Director also serves as the school’s point of contact to various regulatory agencies, including Cal-OSHA, Cal-EPA and local/regional agencies to ensure compliance with all applicable codes, laws, and regulations.
The Director identifies needs for future facilities, modifications, and additions and is responsible for development and adherence to a scheduled maintenance program while responding to unexpected, immediate maintenance needs.
The Director leads the school’s sustainability efforts as the school continues to lower its carbon footprint, including oversight of the School’s Transportation Demand Management Plan (TDMP).
- Provides leadership and strategic direction for the School’s facilities and operational needs, informed by the school’s Strategic Plan and daily operational activities;
- Provides leadership, supervision and support for maintenance staff and all landscaping, security, and custodial services. Works with the Associate Director of Operations to set standards and ensure quality control. Encourages professional development of staff through training, goal setting and performance reviews. Determines the need for and hires temporary employees as necessary;
- Serves as a resource for the Board of Trustees and staffs the Infrastructure, Risk Management and Safety Provides reports on all areas of the physical plant, bringing technical expertise, advice and experience in building and grounds management, physical plant maintenance, energy management and maximizing the use of facilities;
- Manages the permitting process and daily needs for all building and construction projects;
Operations and Maintenance
- Creates, oversees, and manages all aspects of the equipment replacement and building maintenance program funded by the school’s facilities budget and PPRSM reserve;
- Works directly with other administrators to understand and support the evolving facilities needs related to personnel changes, program development, and curriculum growth;
- Investigates and resolves building maintenance issues, concerns and trends;
- Formulates long range maintenance and facility goals;
- Protects, maintains and enhances the facilities and related assets of Marin Academy in a safe and efficient manner including buildings, grounds, furniture, fixtures, fire safety and security equipment, and maintenance equipment and supplies. Safeguards related plans, documents, and files;
- Stays abreast of the changing needs of MA’s curricular, co-curricular and summer programs in order to respond in a timely manner to any facilities needs or operating services;
- Develops staff training programs to ensure that the school remains in compliance with ADA and other facility-based regulations;
- Solicits bids for, evaluates, and recommends outside contractors as appropriate or necessary to perform certain facility/maintenance tasks. Monitors and manages their performance;
- Oversees purchasing and inventory of equipment and supplies for maintenance, grounds, security, and custodial services ensuring adequate inventory of all necessary supplies and parts;
- Actively works to identify and implement energy saving measures;
- Works with and in support of the Thoreau Chair for Environmental Sustainability;
- With the Associate Director of Operations, ensures that all health and safety requirements are met for all on campus food services and activities.
Safety and Security
- Evaluates the school’s security program on a continuing basis recommending and leading changes as needed. Works with administrators, faculty and staff to coordinate any special security needs necessary for meetings or school events. Takes a leadership role in the safety and emergency operations of MA, including planning and drills.
- Directs and manages all health and safety processes, best practices, supplies, and training as well as compliance with all local, state and national agencies. Partners with the Head of School, the Dean of Students and other administrators as needed;
- Interprets and directs the school’s safety program to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local environmental and safety regulations, including OSHA, EPA, etc;
- Provides oversight and management of the school’s safety committee. Helps design and implement campus safety programs and improvements.
- Develops and implements strategies to minimize property loss. Manages distribution and collection of keys, key fobs, and similar campus access devices.
- Jointly with the Chief Financial Officer, develops operating and capital budgets for facilities, including annual, and long-term project budgets. Responsible for cost and budget control;
- Reviews purchase orders for budget, choice of vendor, proper approval and bids when required;
- Develops project specifications, solicits project bids, and consults as necessary with trade and contractor representatives for school repairs and maintenance;
- Works with the school’s technology staff to plan and adopt hardware, software and associated training related to technology upgrades that support the school’s physical plant operations;
- Manages the School’s TDMP program and student transportation program;
- Manages additional projects or responsibilities, as directed by the CFO.
- College or trade school degree or equivalent experience required, preferably in one of the following disciplines: Industrial Management, Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Architecture.
- Five to seven years of related experience is required. Experience in an educational setting is preferred but not required.
- Proven management skills in the area of personnel, time, cost, quality, facility and property management.
- Experience and expertise in facility administration, management, construction, mechanical equipment, landscaping, computer usage, purchasing, supervision, security and general services.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Technology user skills sufficient to manage information and prepare reports in Excel, Word, and other commonly used office software.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Frequently lift equipment and materials weighing 30 pounds or more.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a busy, highly involved environment.
- Ability to kneel, squat, climb ladders, twist, turn and reach in completing a variety of job duties.
- Ability to work outside in hot or cold conditions for extended periods of time.
Connections working at Marin Academy
About Marin Academy
MA is a progressive high school in the San Francisco Bay Area emphasizing interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary teaching and learning, competency-based assessment, and equity and inclusion. MA values the inclusion of many voices and perspectives, and candidates should have the inclination and experience to work in a diverse community focused on issues of equity and social justice. In addition, we highly value the student-teacher relationship. Individuals with a demonstrated desire to play roles across the school including but not limited to advising, leading student activities, coaching, and/or supporting other key programs are encouraged to apply.
Marin Academy’s mission statement “asks every individual to think, question, and create in an environment of encouragement and compassion, and challenges each person to accept the responsibilities posed by education in a democratic society.” The school is a vibrant and diverse community, and students and teachers alike continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. Marin Academy is an equal-opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, and people of color and women are encouraged to apply. For more information about Marin Academy, please visit our website (www.ma.org).