Location: Blairstown, New Jersey
Type: Full Time
Salary: based on experience
4 Year Degree
Science Teacher Position
School setting: Blair Academy is a co-educational, grade 9-postgraduate boarding school situated on 463 hilltop acres just minutes from the Delaware Water Gap and approximately one hour west of New York City. The school is 80 percent boarding, possesses exceptional facilities and faculty housing, and is committed to the continuing education of the faculty. Learn more about our campus and programs at the School’s website at www.blair.edu.
Position available: Blair Academy announces an opening for a science teacher. We are searching for an enthusiastic, student-centered, and collegial teacher who will share in the responsibility of ensuring that our teaching of science at Blair is cohesive, inquiry-based and appropriately challenging across our four-year sequence.
The strongest applicants will have the following qualifications:
- Ability to teach introductory and advanced principles of biology, chemistry and environmental science at the high school level;
- Interest in project-based, inquiry-based, and interdisciplinary approaches to teaching science;
- A passion for teaching students science at all grade levels;
- A BA/BS in the sciences or education; advanced degree a plus;
- Openness to incorporating hands-on, technological, innovative and analytical elements into lesson plans; and
- A strong commitment to collaborating with colleagues to create curricular materials.
Typical job responsibilities include:
- Teaching four sections, which may include biology, chemistry or environmental science;
- Coaching or assisting with a sport for 2 seasons or with activities for 3 seasons;
- Advising a group of 6 to 8 students; and
- Providing supervision for boarding students in the dormitory outside of the class day.
We seek candidates who:
- Seek and respond to feedback with a growth-oriented mindset;
- Embrace inquiry, discussion, and collaboration as methods for teaching and learning;
- Practice cultural responsiveness and demonstrate an appreciation for how our students’ identities may inform their behavior and performance;
- Marry a passion for content area with investment in evidence-based teaching strategies
- Wish to be a part of a collaborative team;
- Will approach every aspect of our shared work as a way to build and deepen relationships, since building relationships is at the heart of everything we do at Blair;
- Are motivated to help our students meet their aims by maintaining high standards while also practicing care and flexibility;
- Demonstrate an investment in helping to build our community as one that is supportive, healthy, inclusive and diverse;
- Show an ability to juggle multiple priorities and responsibilities; and
- Enjoy working with adolescent students, in particular.
How to apply: First, send your résumé and a letter of interest to Leucretia Shaw, Dean of Faculty Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org, followed by another email with transcripts (which may be unofficial) and three professional references. Pieces may be sent separately, if necessary.
Blair Academy seeks and supports faculty members who enliven and strengthen our community through their contributions to our classrooms, extracurricular activities and their desire to bring people together in a welcoming, inclusive community. We are committed to hiring people from a diversity of backgrounds. We do not discriminate against any applicants, as we ensure equal employment opportunities for all.
Connections working at Blair Academy
About Blair Academy
School Setting: Blair Academy is a co-educational, grade 9-postgraduate boarding school situated on 460 hilltop acres just minutes from the Delaware Water Gap and approximately one hour west of New York City. The School is 80% boarding, possesses fine facilities and faculty housing, and is committed to the continuing education of the faculty. The campus and programs may be viewed at the School’s website: www.blair.edu