Location: Walnut Creek, California
Type: Full Time
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $83,000. Salary depends on a number of factors including relevant experience, education level, and subject matter expertise. The school’s generous benefits include tuition remission for employee children, employer contributions to a 403B retirement plan (8% of gross wages; vested over five years), and partial or total contributions to a wide range of California Choice health care plans. The school also offers access to optional vision, dental, and supplemental insurance plans, as well as Flexible Spending Plans (Medical Dependent Care). Employees accrue one sick day per month worked and receive three personal days a year. Faculty also benefit from the school’s closure during the summer and at various times throughout the school year. Benefits include breakfast and lunch provided by in-house chefs and free parking. Faculty can apply for professional development funding and curriculum development grants. More details are provided to candidates who receive an offer.
4 Year Degree
The Seven Hills School, an independent, coeducational, non-profit PS-8 school, seeks a skilled and creative music teacher who is ready to lead our school's music program starting in August of 2023.
Our school’s unique approach to arts education is rooted in our whole child educational philosophy and designed to create opportunities for students to appreciate the arts and grow in their capacity to express themselves creatively. Our students gain exposure to the arts by engaging their creative spirits as painters, designers, singers, thespians, and musicians. The Music Teacher would join a dynamic team of arts educators and be responsible for teaching music classes, including lessons in both instrumental music and vocal performance. As a member of the Lower and Middle School divisions, the Music Teacher would collaborate with other arts team members and classroom teachers to make music an integral part of the student experience in those divisions. With a great opportunity to lead musical performances for the broader school community, the impact of the Music Teacher on school life would extend well beyond the confines of the classroom.
THE MUSIC PROGRAM
Our music program introduces students to rhythm, melody, form, harmony, and musical expression, emphasizing singing, movement, dance, and instruments for students in kindergarten through 8th grade. Students have many opportunities to perform and listen to music at assemblies, open classes, and special occasions. Our specialized theater and various spaces on campus serve as venues for students to work creatively in teams and perform musical pieces that enrich the school’s cultural life.
The position includes the following responsibilities and additional duties as needed:
- Teach music at the Lower (K-5) and Middle (6-8) School levels
- Plan, implement, and assess music curricula and collaborate regularly with colleagues when designing the overall program and special projects
- Lead musical performances at assemblies and special occasions (eg. Grandparents and Special Friends Day, etc.) throughout the year
- Collaborate with members of the arts team and other classroom teachers in a limited number of larger productions (eg. a musical or musical showcase)
- Provide ongoing communication with families and regular reporting on student progress
- Attend regular staff meetings, participate in various team meetings, and take part in ongoing professional development
- Support the school’s operations as needed (all faculty contribute to a schedule of duties such as carline, recess, and lunch duty)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
At Seven Hills, our mission and creed—be respectful, caring, positive, responsible, honest, mindful, and grateful—provides the foundation for the learning environment we strive to create. Ideal candidates for any role would be individuals whose personal, educational, and professional backgrounds demonstrate their potential to fully embrace and live out the school’s mission and creed.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or related field
- High proficiency in music and/or choral performance
- Experience in music instruction (at the K-8 level preferred)
- Experience in the production of musical performances
Skills & Attributes:
- Self-reflective and open to learning opportunities to grow professionally
- Creativity and resourcefulness in supporting students’ skill development
- Ability to foster a safe, predictable, and supportive environment for students
- A positive attitude in engaging in duties and responsibilities
- Integrity and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Self-awareness and ability to interact respectfully with colleagues
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues
Connections working at Seven Hills School
About Seven Hills School
Founded in 1962, Seven Hills is a learning community whose mission is to develop the intellect, engage the spirit, and foster respect for, and responsibility to our world. Our beautiful campus, located on 9 acres of former ranch land near Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek, CA (approximately 35 miles from downtown San Francisco), is home to our outstanding preschool-8th grade program and offers over 420 students the daily opportunity to move freely from engaging classrooms to great expanses of natural outdoor space. We believe every student deserves a whole child education that harmonizes their academic growth and social and emotional development.
At Seven Hills, learning is joyful: from the preschool sandbox to the 8th-grade position paper, learning is fueled by curiosity, exploration, and the love and encouragement of trusted adults. Our small class sizes allow for greater differentiation, building strong partnerships with parents, and employing passionate teachers who love what they do and bring creativity to their daily practice of challenging, nurturing, and inspiring each child.
Nestled atop rolling hills peppered with oak trees, the campus offers a stunning, clear view ...of Mount Diablo and its adjacent hills. You can see an aerial view of our location here. Walnut Creek, a city of over 70,000 people, gives the school access to the vibrant urban life of San Francisco and Oakland as well as beautiful parks and trails of suburban California (in fact, Walnut Creek owns more open space per capita than any other community in the state of California). Sitting at the junction of the highways from Sacramento and San Jose (I-680) and San Francisco/Oakland (SR-24), Walnut Creek serves as a hub for its neighboring cities—Clayton, Lafayette, Alamo, Pleasant Hill, and Concord—and allows Seven Hills to draw students and faculty from a wide geographic radius across over 30 zip codes.