Location: Richmond, Virginia
Type: Full Time
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000
Salary will be determined based on experience.
4 Year Degree
Director of Academic Success
Beginning July 1, 2023
The mission of UP RVA is to empower students to achieve economic sustainability by providing access to exceptional secondary and post-secondary academic opportunities and bridging the educational equity gap.
We envision a future where historically underrepresented and economically-disadvantaged students from Richmond’s East End can realize their full potential, achieve college degrees and full-time employment, and become thriving change-makers in their community.
UP RVA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in Richmond, VA. The organization's mission is to serve low-income high school and college students. We currently support 30 high school students attending five independent schools in Richmond. 16 UP RVA students attend 14 colleges and universities in four states. Annual revenues are approximately $1,100,000.
Founded in 2016, UP RVA has grown exponentially. To better support the needs of our students in high school and through college, a new position has been created: Director of Academic Success. This position, which reports to the Executive Director, will guide and nurture UP RVA students as the trajectories of their lives change through access to quality education, academic success, and college matriculation.
- Develop a four-year high school road map for each student, including performance benchmarks. Monitor academic and extracurricular growth.
- Oversee the After-School program, including supervision of the After-School Director.
- Facilitate the onboarding of incoming 9th-grade students through the UP RVA Summer Institute program.
- Develop relationships with UP RVA’s independent school partners and build rapport with administrators, teachers, and college counselors.
- Partner with parents and encourage family involvement in the program.
- Support and manage the college and financial aid application process.
- Engage with college admissions staff to increase the visibility of UP RVA.
- Develop communication and support plans for UP RVA college students.
- Collect, analyze, and present student academic data for regular assessment of the UP RVA program.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years of college guidance and/or teaching experience. Independent school experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the college application and financial aid process.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Strong ability to listen to and connect with students.
- Facility with technology.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Self-motivated and independent.
- Collaborative team-player.
- Passion for working with low-income students from traditionally underserved communities who will be among the first in their families to attend college.