Location: Austin, Texas
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Headwaters School, a Pre-K through grade 12 independent day school serving 530 students across its three campuses in Austin, TX, is seeking an Elementary Montessori Guide for the remainder of the 2023-2024 Academic Year.
At Headwaters, our teachers nurture a school culture that promotes a growth mindset, a collaborative spirit, a joyful environment, and the achievement of high expectations. Our faculty and staff ensure all members of our school community understand their role in advancing issues of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. Headwaters School supports the professional growth of our school faculty in order to contribute to their feelings of fulfillment, to provide a model of lifelong learning for our students, and to advance the strategic goals of the school.
Our faculty members are responsible for bringing our Purpose statement to life: to cultivate identity formation, foster empathy, and embrace diversity to bring more peace to the world. In addition, they guide our students to live authentically, think expansively, and create bravely. We invite our students, guides, staff, parents, and trustees to be Peacemakers, Advocates, Creators, and Thinkers.
The Elementary Guide reports directly to our Elementary School Director. Our ideal candidate will have Lower Elementary Montessori certification, as well as a Bachelor’s degree. Candidates will also be prepared to participate in the life of the school, including, but not limited to supervision of lunch, chaperoning trips, and other duties as assigned by the Elementary School Director.
- Bachelor's Degree required, degree in Education or a related field preferred
- Montessori certification in Lower Elementary or willingness to complete training, preferred
- 3 - 5 years of teaching experience, preferred
- Passion for working with elementary school-aged children
- Strong commitment to equity and inclusion practices and curriculum in the classroom
- A commitment to personal and professional development
- Is a creative individual, collaborative and a team player
- Ability to maintain calm and focus
- Operates with a high level of integrity
- Highly organized & tech savvy
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities
- Work with approximately 26 children in a classroom setting with a co-guide
- Support the children through their classroom experience
- Research and create instruction that supports the development of the cognitive, emotional, social, physical and spiritual growth of the child
- Develop and maintain an environment that meets the sensitive period/plane of development of the children he/she works with
- Maintain communication that supports an understanding of the school's program, develops positive relationships with the school community, and protects the privacy and confidentiality of each student and family in the school community
- Maintain an on-going dialogue with the Campus Head and Learning Specialist to coordinate curriculum integration and implementation
- Establish a positive relationship with parents of the community and maintain regular communication with regard to their child's specific needs, as well as helping to develop an understanding of the Montessori curriculum
- Actively participate in school functions, including Open Houses, Parent Orientations, campus fundraisers, etc.
- Participate in a regular evaluation process including classroom observations, self evaluations, interim and annual performance evaluations, and annual goal-setting
- Manage student behavior in the classroom and on school premises
- Serve as an ambassador of the School's mission and philosophy
- Perform other duties, as assigned
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position and compensation is competitive for the greater Austin area. The School offers a wide-range of benefits including generous paid time off, 100% paid medical insurance for the employee, 401(k) retirement plan, on-going professional support and continuing education opportunities, and a unique working environment where you are able to share and receive ongoing feedback. This position reports to the Elementary School Director.
Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and educational philosophy statement to Leslie Hirsch, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply or go to the Headwaters School Employment website, https://www.headwaters.org/page/about/employment.
Headwaters School welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. As a 501(c)3 non-profit school, Headwaters provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local anti-discrimination law. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, promotion, training, discipline, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. All Employees are responsible for complying with the School’s equal employment opportunity policy.
Connections working at Headwaters School
About Headwaters School
Headwaters School is an independent school in Austin, Texas serving students from early childhood through grade 12. Beginning with a Montessori foundation and progressing to the International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme, we cultivate identity formation, foster empathy, and embrace diversity to bring more peace to the world.