Location: Braintree, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Thayer Academy is a member of a small consortium of day schools in the University of Pennsylvania’s Independent School Teaching Residency Program (ISTR). This program provides an innovative curriculum taught by a combination of Penn’s Graduate School of Education faculty and senior administrators from cohort schools, and is designed to attract and train some of the most promising aspiring teachers.
Thayer Academy ISTR teaching fellows pursue a two-year Master of Science in Education (M.S.Ed.) at Penn during their tenure.
Thayer Academy hires ISTR fellows for a two-year position in a range of academic disciplines in our Middle and Upper School. At Thayer, ISTR fellows:
- Enjoy the professional support of both academic and administrative mentors. Mentors offer periodic observation, regular meetings, and professional development opportunities in a collaborative setting.
- Teach a modified teaching schedule (typically teaching two sections in year 1 and three sections in year 2).
- Engage in many aspects of campus life, including coaching, advising, and supporting student activities, clubs, or organizations.
- Join other new faculty in regular programming and training for all new faculty and staff on campus as well.
- Participate in the graduate education component of the program (please visit the Penn site for more information) which includes: (1) online work with the cohort of Penn ISTR fellows; (2) one week of an on-site program at Penn each summer; and (3) three weekends of programming throughout the academic year at one of the consortium schools with faculty from Penn and partner schools.
- Receive a salary, rent-free campus (or near-campus) housing, majority tuition contribution by Thayer.
Thayer encourages applications from candidates who support the Academy’s commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment.
To apply, please upload your resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three to five references, including two present or past supervisors and an undergraduate transcript.
Connections working at Thayer Academy
About Thayer Academy
About Thayer Academy
Thayer Academy's mission is “to inspire a diverse community of students to moral, intellectual, aesthetic, and physical excellence so that each may rise to honorable achievement and contribute to the common good.” In its hiring practices, Thayer Academy seeks candidates who come from a broad range of backgrounds and can contribute to a diverse community, who love working with young people, who thrive when engaged in multiple arenas of school life, and who welcome professional growth.
Located next to Braintree's historic district and just up the hill from the MBTA’s final Red Line stop is the historic 34-acre campus of Thayer Academy. Since 1877, our coeducational day school for grades 5-12 has been a dynamic learning environment in which each student is affirmed, supported, and challenged to grow and meaningfully achieve as young scholars, athletes, artists and leaders. Thayer continues to be a place where tradition and innovation meet, and where students form lifelong relationships with one another and with inspiring teachers who care deeply about their students' personal growth and academic success.
Thayer is rooted in the intentionally holistic educat...ion of our students, who are viewed as whole individuals with affinities and talents in many areas. Unique to Thayer, because of deliberately coordinated scheduling, it is possible to be both a varsity athlete and sing on stage in the school musical--students here are not forced to choose one path or another. There is a supportive and collaborative camaraderie that pervades our halls and campus--one where students view their classmates as partners, encouraging one another to discover their hidden talents and develop them into lifelong strengths.
When you work at Thayer Academy, you join a warm community of students, parents, and colleagues who value not only academic achievement but also a supportive environment in which continual growth and learning is encouraged and supportive through a robust array of professional development opportunities.