Location: Belmont, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Inspire and challenge.
At Belmont Day School, we foster intellectual curiosity, honor differences,
and empower meaningful contribution with excellence, respect, honesty, responsibility, caring, and joy.
We are seeking an innovative, nurturing, and dynamic pre-kindergarten teacher. This is a co-teaching position with each lead teacher responsible for teaching about 10 students in a shared classroom space.
This is a full-time, ten-month, exempt, and benefit-eligible position, which reports to the lower school head and begins September 2023. This position is not eligible for employer-sponsored relocation.
- Possess and utilize knowledge of best practices in early childhood development to plan and execute engaging and developmentally appropriate instruction
- Create an inclusive classroom environment and learning community that integrates equity and inclusion pedagogy with early childhood teaching and fosters authentic parent engagement
- Utilize observation and documentation to assess and monitor growth in all curriculum areas, particularly language development, math, early literacy skills, and social-emotional skills
- Differentiate instruction and create a responsive curriculum to meet the individual needs of all students and support foundational skills
- Incorporate elements of outdoor early education pedagogy and inquiry-based learning into the curriculum
- Communicate verbally and in writing sensitively, regularly, clearly, and honestly with parents, informally and formally through conferences and semester reports
- Contribute to and benefit from collaborating with colleagues including but not limited to partnering with a co-teacher on set-up of a shared classroom space, curriculum development, and parent communication to provide a consistent experience for both pre-k cohorts
- Incorporate technology in the classroom in a meaningful and developmentally appropriate way
- Participate enthusiastically in all aspects of an excellent school which could include serving as an associate teacher mentor, Capstone mentor, middle school athletics coach, and/or health and wellness teacher
- Teach and exhibit our school’s six core values of excellence, respect, honesty, responsibility, caring, and joy
- Knowledge of pre-kindergarteners and their developmental progression
- Ability to infuse equity, inclusion, and social justice concepts and themes into academic and social-emotional curriculums and inform teaching, classroom management, and parent relationships
- Thorough understanding of instructional practices in early childhood skill development
- Ability to develop, adapt, and differentiate the curriculum in multiple subject areas
- Establish and maintain strong home-school partnerships with families to ensure student success
- Strong collegial and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Experience teaching early childhood students required; experience teaching in a school setting preferred
- Training and/or experience with Responsive Classroom, Singapore Math, Reggio Emilia approach, and equity, inclusion, and belonging work preferred
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com by Friday, March 31 and include “Pre-kindergarten Teacher” in the subject line.
Connections working at Belmont Day School
About Belmont Day School
Belmont Day School is a pre-kindergarten through eighth grade independent school in founded in 1927 by a group of parents committed to providing children with an excellent academic foundation and many opportunities for creative expression. We value honesty, caring, joy, responsibility, respect and excellence.