Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Laurel School seeks talented faculty and staff who will put our students first and strive to make a difference in their lives. We seek to attract culturally and academically diverse faculty and staff who thrive on being engaged participants in our community and are committed to anti-racist education and the development of young women as authentic learners and leaders. The most successful candidates are solutions-driven, are willing to listen to learn, embrace iteration and practice as a necessary part of the product, see opportunities before problems, and thrive in a fast-paced, forward-thinking educational environment. Laurel lives our mission: to inspire each girl to fulfill her promise and to better the world.
The Controller supports the CFO in carrying out the responsibilities of the Business Office. Primary responsibilities include safeguarding of assets, timely and accurate reporting and consolidation of financial statements, achieving budget objectives by monitoring monthly variances, and data collection and reporting for investment, endowment and restricted funds.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Safeguard assets by recommending, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
- Timely and accurate preparation, analysis and consolidation of financial statements and reports including fund/project reporting
- Review monthly reports to determine financial performance by activity/project and revenue centers and provide them to appropriate managers
- Perform bank reconciliations and supervise monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts
- Ensure proper accounting and reporting for investment, endowment and restricted funds, including journal entries, account reconciliations and subsidiary detail
- Coordinate the annual financial audit, including preparation and review of workpapers and reports, be effective liaison with external auditors
- Prepare tax reporting requirements for Form 990 and sales tax
- Assist CFO in achieving budget objectives by rigorously monitoring monthly variances, communicating financial condition with management and recommending corrective action
- Maintain fixed assets and depreciation schedules
- Coordinate and provide reports for all data surveys, including NAIS, OAIS, and Index
- Assist with timely preparation of debt covenant compliance reports
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of state funds
- Assist the annual budgeting process with conclusive trend and account analysis, special reports and graphs
- Monitor cash requirements and assist CFO with managing cash flow
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
A bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field from an accredited university is required. A minimum of five years of accounting experience with supervisory responsibilities is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A working knowledge of accounting policies, procedures, practices and software programs.
- The ability to work as part of a high-achieving team in a fast-paced community environment, to deal with a wide array of challenges and deadlines, and with a varied array of contacts.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, adherence to the standards of professional ethics and a commitment to the School’s mission.
- Advanced skills in the use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Excellent work habits and commitment to get the job done
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills with a keen eye for detail
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative with great customer service attitude
- Knowledge of Blackbaud systems and Independent school experience preferred but not required
- Enthusiasm for working in a school setting and desire to embrace the school’s mission and values.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please see www.laurelschool.org for further information and a job application.
Laurel School is a dynamic, forward-thinking, K-12 girls’ school with a co-ed pre-primary division, where every child is well known. As a Facing History and Ourselves School, Laurel is fully committed to equity and inclusion.
Laurel enjoys an outstanding local and national reputation and is home to the Laurel Center for Research on Girls. In a highly competitive school landscape, Laurel is fortunate to be a school of choice in Cleveland. Our emphasis on the whole child and our legacy of excellence in the teaching of girls set us apart. Located in Shaker Heights, OH (15 minutes from downtown Cleveland) with an additional rural campus 17 minutes away, the school has a suburban/rural advantage. The work environment is noted for being family-friendly and flexible. The feeling in the school is joyous, collaborative and innovative. Our curricular philosophy emphasizes community-based, interdisciplinary and experiential learning. Collaboration and reflective practice are key to pedagogy at Laurel. The school is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Laurel School is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all personnel and applicants for employment without regard to race; color; religion; sex; gender identity; national origin; handicap or disability; sexual orientation; or status as a veteran, Vietnam era, or special disabled veteran.