Location: Los Angeles, California
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Brentwood School inspires every student to
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Upper School Service Learning Coordinator
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for an Upper School Service Learning Coordinator beginning August 2023. We are seeking individuals with a vision for creating service experiences while overseeing a dynamic service learning program that is interwoven into the fabric of the Upper School. This position reports to the Assistant Upper School Director and candidates should have at least 3 years of teaching or other relevant experience in leadership positions. Candidates holding advanced degrees are preferred.
It is expected that a successful candidate will:
- Foster a culture of community in the Upper School
- Support and develop programming that strengthens student and faculty commitment to our core values and character education
- Nurture the growth of emotional intelligence and character development of students
- Demonstrate and promote a collaborative approach when working with faculty and staff
- Support and advance school-wide initiatives such as expanding student-centered learning practices, integrating programming with the Belldegrun Center for Innovative Leadership, and fostering the relationship with the VA, among others
- Engage and support students of varied identities, lifestyles, and beliefs
- Create an environment that fosters open discussion with the freedom to express varied points of view
- Perform additional duties and participate in the life of the school by advising a club, chaperoning events, and attending student activities
- Engage in professional and personal development and commit to growth in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Participate and initiate opportunities that demonstrate one's growth, knowledge, and skills
- Teach a minimum of one class, preferably more
In addition, a candidate should possess the following qualities and attributes:
- Dedication to being a student advocate
- Confidence as a problem solver
- A commitment to equity and inclusion
- Flexibility and a strong work ethic
- An interest in and openness to professional growth
- A sense of humor, warmth of personality, and energy
The Service Learning Coordinator should:
- Be highly organized and have excellent communication skills
- Have a passion for working with student groups and fostering student initiatives
- Demonstrate an interest in service learning and civic engagement in an academic setting
- Exhibit a collaborative approach to leadership that produces effective decision-making and that reveals a genuine enthusiasm for working with colleagues, sharing strategies, and exploring effective ways to enhance the student experience
- Cultivate an equitable and diverse Upper School community
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage and implement the vision for service learning in the Upper School, including maintaining relationships with various stakeholders including administrators, staff, teachers, parents, and community partner organizations
- Work with faculty to integrate service learning into the classroom by helping teachers develop and adapt current curriculum, co-teaching classroom lessons related to social issues, and building and maintaining relationships with community partner organizations
- Work with students to ensure understanding of all-school drives and activities and specific grade-level service initiatives.
- Inform and educate students and the larger community about social issues Oversee and manage Benefacta, Brentwood’s service-based honor society
- Plan and organize the 9th-12th Grade service days and the 10th Grade service retreat
- Oversee the culminating service project for each member of the senior class
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Student Life to oversee any service-related student fundraising and corresponding special events
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of the Belldegrun Center of Innovative Leadership and the counseling team to further the vision and integration of the Center’s mission into the fabric of the school
- Teach a minimum of one year or 2-semester courses
- Serve on any ad hoc committees, as needed
- Serve as an advisor
- Create and execute the Summer Service Camp(s)
COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption.
For this position, the broad salary range which includes all experience levels is $70,000-$95,000. Salaries are determined based on education, experience, part-time status, and number of months of work per school year.
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com. Please submit a letter of interest and a resume to
Administrative Assistant to the Upper School Director
100 S. Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Connections working at Brentwood School
About Brentwood School
Mission & ValuesBrentwood School is a vibrant and diverse community whose purpose is to promote personal and intellectual growth. We provide challenging, engaging programs in a nurturing learning environment, devoting care and attention to every student. Embracing high standards of character, commitment, and achievement. Brentwood School encourages students to think critically and creatively and to act ethically. In its relatively short history, Brentwood School has grown to be one of the premier independent day schools in Southern California. Founded as a non-profit corporation in 1972, Brentwood School acquired the Brentwood Military Academy, which had existed since 1902. Brentwood School opened in the fall of 1972 as a co-educational, college preparatory day school with grades 6-10. Grade 11 was added in fall 1973, and the school graduated its first senior class in June 1975.