Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Founded in 1927, Sheridan is a K-8 progressive school with 230 students. We have a vibrant, engaged community and a deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and most of all belonging. We are dedicated to advancing our practice of progressive education and delivering a rich curriculum that prepares our students to know, to challenge, and to achieve. We provide a learning culture that is curious, thoughtful, joyful and just. Our professional culture is steeped in collaboration, respect, and eagerness to embrace new experiences and ideas.
For the 2023-2024 school year, we are seeking an experienced, dynamic and collaborative Kindergarten teacher. The individual who fill this role will:
- Collaborate with a co-teacher in order to create a nurturing classroom environment and deliver high-quality instruction to students in the areas of social studies, reading, writing, and math.
- Align with Sheridan’s mission, philosophy and program goals
- Partner with families around their child’s educational journey, successes and challenges
- Actively participate in Mountain Campus trips, admissions events, and other important facets of school life
- Design curriculum and instruction in collaboration with the lower school division head and other faculty members
- Work collaboratively with the student support team on issues related to student growth and support
- Create an environment that ensures equitable and respectful care and support for students with diverse beliefs and practices and varied backgrounds
We are eager to consider candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a letter of interest and resume in one PDF file to Tiphanie Gilmore Edwards, Assistant Head of School for People and Programs, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Kindergarten Teacher” in the subject line.
Sheridan School does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, genetic information, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by law.
To learn more about working at Sheridan, please visit our Sheridan Careers page.
Connections working at Sheridan School
About Sheridan School
Sheridan is an independent, co-educational, K-8 school located in northwest Washington, DC, offering a progressive, concept-based curriculum that promotes social justice and utilizes Reading and Writing Workshop, Math in Focus and Responsive Classroom. Each grade has about 25 students in one homeroom with two teachers. Departmental classes are taught in smaller sections outside of the homeroom by content specialists.
Sheridan strives to create a diverse and equitable learning environment, and we are fully committed to fostering our multicultural community. About 25% of our 225 students are from traditionally underrepresented groups and we are eager to consider teacher candidates from diverse backgrounds. Sheridan values continued professional growth, offering fully-funded faculty development opportunities and a mentoring program for new faculty. More information about Sheridan is available at www.sheridanschool.org.
Sheridan School does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other category protected by law. EOE.