Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English, Spanish, and Chinese teachers work together in one classroom, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second language and at ease beyond their borders. To this end, Small World students are introduced to new languages in a trilingual (English, Spanish, Chinese) classroom environment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop and teach curriculum across multiple subjects in a trilingual classroom that engages all learners in meaningful, age-appropriate play that cultivates 21st-century skills
- Ensure that all students achieve key learning outcomes that are developmentally appropriate, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address individual needs
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Provide leadership among a team of English and Spanish teachers and be a teaching role model
- Be responsible for multiple classes of students to continually improve student learning and school culture
- Deeply connect with students and vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families through relationship building, which includes strong spoken and written communication.
This position is part-time (five mornings per week) with weekly afternoon meetings and occasional full-day professional development days.
If hired for this position, the annual salary range for this position is between $36,000 - $56,000. The salary may vary depending on your campus location and skills. Competitive benefits for benefits eligible roles include medical, dental, life insurance, 401K savings plan, generous paid time off, family forming benefits, health and wellness benefits and more.
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 5 years of teaching experience with students aged 2-3, strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction
- Full professional fluency Chinese
- Expertise in play-based, developmentally appropriate and experiential curriculum
- Skills in being a highly effective team leader and collaborator, an eagerness to listen deeply, mentor associate teachers, and contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- A deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- An adaptive and flexible approach to work and an eagerness to embrace change, growth and learning
- A high level of comfort with using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction
- Graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field
Connections working at Avenues The World School
About Avenues The World School
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.