Location: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Type: Part Time
This is a stipend, exempt position within the athletics department reporting to the Director of Athletics.
Position Purpose: The Shipley School seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Varsity Boys' Basketball Head Coach.
Position Description: The Varsity Boys Basketball Head Coach will serve as the head of the entire boys basketball program under the general direction of the Director of Athletics and the Associate Director of Athletics. In this role, the incumbent is responsible for the oversight and involvement in all parts of the boys basketball program for grades 6-12 and will coach the Upper School Varsity team.
- Follows and upholds policies and mission statement of The Shipley School & Friends Schools League
- Schedule all Upper School boys basketball contests (Varsity and Junior Varsity)
- Plan all practice sessions and competition
- Instruct and demonstrate skill sets and techniques necessary for development and athletic achievement in the sport
- Travel to and from off-site locations (practice or contests) with student-athletes
- Assist AD in recruiting, hiring, and evaluating coaches within the program
- Identify student athletes of all ages for application to Shipley
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship and maintain appropriate conduct towards the student-athletes, opposing team, officials, spectators, etc.
- Ensure a positive environment free of hazing, harassment, bullying and intimidating language and behaviors - aligned with our Community Commitment
- Represent Shipley at all FSL and PAISAA meetings as necessary
- Develop, organize and implement off season training in partnership with the Director of Athletic Performance
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience coaching basketball, highly preferred in boys varsity basketball
- Availability to work a flexible schedule that includes some nights and weekends
- First Aid and CPR training - or have the ability to be trained
- Ability to drive a 9 passenger van
- Ability to carry 50 lbs
- Ability to be outside for prolonged periods of time in a variety of weather conditions
The Shipley School, founded in 1894, is a co-educational, college preparatory, independent day school currently enrolling 835 students in grades Pre-K through 12. Located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia, the school is committed to educational excellence and dedicated to developing in each student a love of learning and compassionate participation in the world.
The Shipley School is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. Based on receipt of federal financial assistance through a Paycheck Protection Program loan administered through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) under the CARES Act, the School acknowledges its obligation to prohibit discrimination, harassment, or retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, citizenship status, genetic information, handicap or disability in admissions, access, employment, tuition assistance, educational policies, or other school administered student and employee programs and activities. Questions regarding the School's compliance with the application and administration of the School's nondiscrimination policies should be directed to Title IX Compliance Officer or the Section 504 Compliance Officer at, 814 Yarrow Street, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania 19010, or to the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) or to the SBA. Please refer to the School's SBA Non-Discrimination Compliance Policy on the School's website for information on how to file complaints with OCR or the SB
Interested candidates should complete the online application.
A resume, cover letter and all valid background clearances (PA Criminal History, PA Child Abuse, and FBI Fingerprint reports) should be uploaded in the resume section of the application. Applications received missing the letter and/or supporting documents will receive less consideration. No phone calls, please.