Location: Washington, D.C.
Type: Full Time
Aidan Montessori School seeks a full time (approximately 40 hours/week) School Counselor. This position will deliver counseling programs, parent education, and services that promote the social and emotional well-being of students according to their developmental needs from 18 months through 6th Grade and support other school-wide duties as required.
- Provide educational and preventive counseling services and programs in the areas of social and emotional competency;
- Provide counseling services and screenings of students with particular needs with sound judgment, including making appropriate community referrals for specialized support services and managing crises in accordance to mandated child protection reporting laws;
- Work with other school staff to develop and implement relevant programs that address current needs and trends among students and families;
- Maintain intervention documentation and actively communicate to appropriate faculty and administration;
- Serve as a resource for parents, faculty, and administration in addressing concerns pertaining to individuals or groups of students. Including design and delivery of parent education programs;
- Maximize accessibility and outreach to students and parents through regular communication about ongoing programs/services/resources;
- Work closely with the Head of School, Assistant Heads of School, Diversity Coordinator, and faculty to address student conduct, behavioral concerns, investigations, and discipline as needed;
- Establish collaborative working relationships with the school team, including students, parents, school faculty and administration, and external organizations.
- Master's Degree in Psychology, School Counseling, Social Work, or a related field required
- Training in behavioral assessments and intervention, mental health assessment, parent consultation, classroom management, and related assessments and intervention methods
- Professional license in the District of Columbia (or the equivalent; willing to consider candidate working towards professional license)
- Experience working with a variety of age groups from early childhood through middle school
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Aidan Montessori School does not discriminate against applicants based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender expression. Applicants from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should address a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. Please include “Counselor” in the email subject line.
Please note that per Mayor Bowser’s Order 2021-109 all employees in childcare and school settings must be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition of employment at Aidan Montessori School.
Connections working at Aidan Montessori School
About Aidan Montessori School
Aidan Montessori School is a premier independent Montessori school, and one of the oldest in the country. It serves 200 children in historic Woodley Park in Washington, DC.