Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
4 Year Degree
The Business Office Accountant’s primary areas of responsibilities are student billing and cash receipts.
The responsibilities primarily consist of entering data into the databases to process transactions, including but not limited to tuition management; maintaining and updating the databases’ information; downloading reports and performing reviews of the data; preparing analysis and entering journal entries into the general ledger system; responding to parent, staff and other inquiries by email, telephone, or other means, as they relate to the primary areas of responsibilities.
The Accountant will report to the CFO and will work with the department managers on various tasks and projects. The Accountant will also assist with other accounting, clerical, administrative functions, and office duties as deemed appropriate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. The Accountant is responsible for following all accounting policies and procedures as described in the Business Office Policies.
Tuition Management Process:
- Assist with updating the Enrollment, Tuition and Fees contracts on an annual, mid-year and part year basis.
- Record enrollment tuition deposits for the new school year.
- Update contact information and other data within the Tuition Management system.
- Download and review data to assist Admissions or Records or departments with student billing data, i.e., receipt of tuition deposits, contract data.
- Review and assist with reconciliation of the student roster.
- Maintain and update the Tuition Management system, terminating account agreements and inactivating students that have withdrawn during and after the school year.
- Assist with updating tuition charges, financial aid, tuition deposit, and other transactions, through the Tuition Management system for review to finalize the payment agreements or invoices.
- Post cash receipts sent directly to School and prepare bank deposit.
- Post and follow up on NSF payments.
- Reconcile student accounts to general ledger as needed.
- Assist parents, guardians, or authorized related parties with setting up or updating their Tuition Management accounts, answering questions and concerns regarding charges, payments, due dates, account balances and other related issues. Assisting parents, guardians or other authorized related parties with statements and other documentation they may require.
- Prepare an analysis to charge late fees and entering data to invoice families for review. Generating the Tuition Management statement to be mailed / emailed to families.
- Follow-up and assist with delinquent accounts, including summary analysis, calculation of late fees, entering late fee charges. Assist with generating collection letters and copies of statements. Document follow up on the delinquent account analysis.
- Enter incidental charges to be invoiced to families for review, including exam fees, band or orchestra rental fees, and student activity charges.
- Handle students that have withdrawn during the school year, calculation of Tuition Refund Plan insurance (TRP) analysis for review, upload data to the insurance company for processing the tuition refund, follow up with the families for required documents, outstanding balances due, refunds for overpayment.
- Download and review analysis from the Tuition Management system and input data to create the journal entry in the general ledger system.
- Receive and record all cash receipts, separating items between the operating fund and agency fund.
- Download and review electronic payments for unusual activities. Reconcile the deposits with available reports of expected charges and prepares reports for review. Assist with reporting payments to other departments as necessary.
- Assist with recording related processing fees for electronic payments.
- Prepare cash receipts journal entries in the general ledger system.
- Prepare and review monthly journal entries for School and Foundation
- Prepare bank deposits monthly and more often, if necessary.
- Prepare monthly financial statements for respective departments
- Consolidate monthly financial packets for CFO and Board
- Assist in annual budgeting process
- Detail-oriented, ability to effectively communicate accounting concepts and requirements to Faculty and Staff (non-accountants).
- Perform routine student billing, and other tasks with speed and accuracy with minimum supervision.
- Work cooperatively with others and independently as required.
- Customer service oriented.
- Have sound judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work.
- Ability to anticipate needs and handle multiple activities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Accounting or Business Administration or related field
- 3-5 years of accounting experience to include accounts receivable and general accounting and administration systems and processes.
Connections working at Maryknoll School
About Maryknoll School
The students at Maryknoll School are welcomed into a small school setting where personal development and scholastic achievement are emphasized equally. As a Diocesan, Catholic, co-educational institution, Maryknoll School is committed to providing each student with a quality education through cultivation of knowledge, self-discipline, creativity, and spiritual and physical growth.Maryknoll strives to go beyond academics by developing individuals of moral integrity and personal responsibility. Students are encouraged to discover social attitudes through the exercise of justice, respect, and equality without regard to religious, social, or cultural background. Maryknoll School aspires to prepare its students for the modern world by encouraging them to work intelligently with others to build a society of lasting peace and justice.