Location: Houston, Texas
Type: Full Time
Annunciation Orthodox School (AOS) seeks a talented, experienced, and passionate Middle School Counselor who is eager to support the school’s mission as we work to develop the “hearts and minds” of our students. The perfect candidate will be highly collaborative and exhibit strong interpersonal skills. The Middle School Counselor operates as part of the Middle School Leadership Team, the middle school Student Support Team, and primarily works with students in fifth through eighth grade, as well as teachers and parents.
Annunciation Orthodox School, as part of its mission, celebrates the diverse characteristics and individual qualities of those that comprise our community. In alignment with our mission, we actively seek to hire candidates of all faiths, races, ethnicities, and backgrounds.
Reports to: Head of Middle School
Start Date: July 31, 2023
Work Schedule: Academic school year, Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM; additional time as needed for after-school meetings and events.
- Work with students, teachers, parents, and outside professionals to maximize student success
- Manage and support the implementation of a school-wide SEL curriculum (Second Step)
- Teach occasional classroom lessons aimed at increasing social aptitude and emotional health
- Collaborate with teachers and administrators regarding individual students
- Provide brief counseling/consultation sessions with individual students and parents
- Perform observations and make recommendations for interventions to support academic, behavioral, and social success
- Provide referrals to professionals outside of school for more intensive psychological support; work as a liaison with these outside professionals to support their work and generalize interventions in the school setting
- Initiate and manage outside psychoeducational/neuropsychological testing referrals and help teachers understand and implement recommendations/accommodations
- Support in and lead crisis management and consultation
- Provide support and resources to parents and the larger AOS community through presentations, written resources, and discussion
- Collaborate with the Learning Specialist to assist in leading the Student Support Team (SST) and facilitate grade-level team meetings to discuss and analyze the progress of students who demonstrate a concerning pattern of performance
- Conduct initial referrals in which a teacher/parent is concerned about the social-emotional-behavioral needs of a student
- Manage testing referrals by outside licensed psychologists including helping teachers understand how to implement recommendations/accommodations
- Collaborate with the Lower School Counselor on school-wide initiatives (e.g., faculty in-service presentations, community talks, parent education, etc.)
- Advanced degree in a mental-health related field (psychology, social work, counseling)
- Several years of related work experience with preadolescent and adolescent children
- Professional certification in a mental-health related field
- Experience with coordinating, facilitating or teaching a school-wide social emotional learning program
- Familiarity with the process of interpreting and applying the results of neuropsychological and psychoeducational assessments
Please provide the following information to this email address: email@example.com
- Cover letter tailored for this position
- Contact information for at least three references
Connections working at Annunciation Orthodox School
About Annunciation Orthodox School
Annunciation Orthodox School, having grown from a ministry of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral, celebrates the diverse and individual qualities of all children and their families. AOS provides a superior education in a secure and stimulating Christian environment which encourages the individual child to achieve academic, spiritual, emotional, social and physical excellence, and to become a responsible member of our society.The school has over 700 students beginning with our Delphi Class (age three years) and ending with eighth grade. The AOS curriculum is stimulating, innovative, student-centered and based on the principles of motivation, hard work, and creativity within a nurturing Christian environment. With its close proximity to the Houston museum and performing arts districts, medical center, major universities, libraries, downtown, and zoo, the acquisition of knowledge occurs outside as well as inside the classroom. The highly qualified faculty is dedicated to challenging the minds of the students and inspiring creative thought. The school's academic program and teaching methods lay the groundwork for high school and beyond. These attributes make AOS a leading indepe...ndent school in the city of Houston.Annunciation Orthodox School, as part of its mission, celebrates the diverse characteristics and individual qualities of those that comprise our community. In alignment with our mission, we actively seek to hire candidates of all faiths, races, ethnicities, and backgrounds.