Location: Deerfield, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Deerfield Academy announces a search for an Associate Director of the Center for Service and Global Citizenship to start as soon as possible or Fall 2023. Deerfield’s Center for Service and Global Citizenship (CSGC) strives to prepare student leaders for a rapidly changing world that requires global understanding, environmental stewardship, and dedication to service. The Associate Director would join a dynamic and interdisciplinary team working collaboratively to design and deliver high impact experiential education programming with a focus on sustainability education, service and community engagement, and global education. We’re looking for someone who cares deeply about student development in these areas, works effectively with colleagues, is committed to developing an inclusive community, and driven to effect positive change through creative, collaborative and practical problem solving.
- Collaborate with a dynamic CSGC team to maintain current programs and design new opportunities to develop student leadership, global engagement, environmental stewardship, and a dedication to service.
- Manage service programming for students, deepening connections with community partners while ensuring high impact student learning and community engagement;
- Oversee extracurricular efforts to engage students with topics of sustainability and environmental stewardship.
- Mentor student leaders in the fields of sustainability, global studies, and community service in 1-on-1 and group sessions.
- Help execute off-campus travel and global education program planning and implementation.
- Support faculty interested in integrating experiential education, global citizenship, sustainability or service into their classes, co-curriculars, and corridors.
- Carry out the regular duties normally associated with faculty: teaching one class, coaching, and supervising corridors, dining hall tables and weekend activities.
- Masters degree preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge and skill in experiential education, sustainability education, global education, service learning and/or student leadership development.
- The ability to lead international travel with groups of students
- Strong organizational skills and experience with project management
Connections working at Deerfield Academy
About Deerfield Academy
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members ...of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 130 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected military veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.