Location: Arden, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Christ School seeks an enthusiastic, committed full-time Spanish teacher to join our community in August 2024. Teachers in the World Languages Department must be ready to juggle multiple classroom tasks in addition to the diverse duties associated with life on a busy residential campus.
This Spanish teacher will:
- Develop appropriate lesson plans and curricula for four courses per semester (beginner through advanced levels).
- Design course work that meets students’ needs and spurs their interest.
- Teach pronunciation, vocabulary, writing, and composition.
- Foster a structured, positive learning environment for all students.
- Investigate innovative teaching methods and materials for use in the classroom.
- Schedule and prepare students for oral and written exams.
- Monitor student progress and provide regular feedback to students and parents.
- Shape opportunities for further learning through diverse cultural experiences.
Additional Athletic/Afternoon and Residential Life responsibilities will vary based on the candidate’s experience and interests, as well as the school’s needs. Candidates should be prepared to take on a combination of the following:
- Coaching sports teams (JV/Varsity) or leading Outdoor Programs (biking, hiking, climbing, etc.)
- Directing afternoon programs and clubs (Drama, Quiz Bowl, literary magazine, etc.)
- Supervising a dormitory, either as a resident or adjunct faculty member, 1-2 times per week
- Monitoring evening study halls, 1-2 times per week
- Providing transportation and supervision for weekend activities, once every five weeks
- Mentoring a small group of students through an advising program
Teaching positions are 10-month, academic-year appointments. Approximately 75% of Christ School’s faculty members live on the scenic 500-acre campus.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your CV with a cover letter indicating a specific interest in teaching at Christ School to Steve Stay, Registrar & Executive Assistant to the Head of School.
About the school:
Christ School was founded in 1900 and is affiliated with the Episcopal Church. Located nine miles south of downtown Asheville, North Carolina, Christ School is an all-boys boarding and day school for grades 8-12. Students come from 16 states and eight foreign countries. All world faiths are represented and welcome at Christ School. www.christschool.org
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other legally protected status.
- An undergraduate degree in Spanish or a related field; a master’s degree preferred
- First-hand experience living abroad in a Spanish-speaking country preferred
- Two or more years teaching upper school Spanish preferred
- Sincere interest in educating, encouraging, and inspiring adolescent boys
- The ability to communicate clearly and proactively with students, parents, and colleagues
- A demonstrated desire to learn and implement new teaching methods and technologies
- A commitment to Christ School’s Four Pillars: Academic Rigor, Leadership, Spirituality, and the Dignity of Manual Labor
- Energy, flexibility, and a sense of humor
Connections working at Christ School
About Christ School
Christ School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for boys located in Asheville, NC. We offer a competitive academic curriculum, intramural and varsity athletics, spiritual development and a work program open to students of all faiths and backgrounds from around the world.
Christ School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, handicap, veteran’s status, or any other legally protected status.