Location: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
This is a full-time, exempt position within the Middle School reporting to the Head of Middle School.
The Shipley School seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Middle School Science Teacher to work with our existing Science Department. This will be a full-time position beginning August 15, 2023. The ideal candidate will:
- Teach four sections of science
- One other section to be agreed upon (STEAM, math, or science)
- Act as an advisor and be committed to playing an active role in MS.
The successful candidate must:
- Share a deep passion for science and discovery
- Have an excellent background in teaching ecological science, biological science, and physical science
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to develop assessments and curriculum focused on hands-on, inquiry-based learning that encourages students to think critically and scientifically
- Have experience creating authentic formative and summative project and lab-based assessments
- Be comfortable using technology and incorporating it into teaching
- Be comfortable in a lab and Maker Space environment
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Maturity, collegiality, flexibility, humor
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Ideal candidate has experience teaching Science in a middle school setting
- BA in Science or related field (advanced degree preferred but not required)
- An appreciation for the unique qualities of the typical young adolescents found in middle school settings
- A willingness to employ differentiated instruction to meet learners at their level of need
The Shipley School, founded in 1894, is a co-educational, college preparatory, independent day school currently enrolling 835 students in grades Pre-K through 12. Located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia, the school is committed to educational excellence and dedicated to developing in each student a love of learning and compassionate participation in the world. The Middle School has 195 students in grades 6-8, and a faculty of 30.
The Shipley School is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The school will make all employment decisions for employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity, and expression, creed, genetic predisposition, victim of domestic violence or any other basis protected by law.
Interested candidates should complete the online application. Cover letter, Philosophy of Education Statement, and Resume should be uploaded in the resume section of the application or the attention of Shane Kinsella (Head of Middle School). Applications received missing supporting documents will receive less consideration. No phone calls, please.