Location: Westport, Connecticut
Type: Full Time
At Greens Farms Academy (GFA), students are empowered to do the hard, thrilling, essential work of shaping their own world, of building their own future. More than 700 PreK -12 students come from 23 towns in Fairfield and Westchester counties and form a joyful community that aspires to live by the school's motto, "Each for All." The school’s highly regarded academic program is built around small class sizes (average 15), mentoring partnership with faculty (8:1 student to teacher ratio), and innovative programs designed to support students’ pursuit of inquiry. The faculty is characterized by its growth mindset, embracing innovation, exploring a range of student-centered approaches, and constantly seeking to better serve its students.
The GFA mission plays an essential role in school life: GFA engages students as partners in an innovative, inclusive, and globally-minded community to prepare them for lives of purpose. Faculty and staff have committed that language to memory, along with our core values -- passion, integrity, empathy, curiosity, excellence -- so as to better live out the spirit of those words.
GFA is searching for a full-time Upper School Mathematics Teacher to begin teaching in August of 2023. The Mathematics Department offers a dynamic curriculum for grades 5-12 with a strong emphasis on collaborative learning, intellectual risk-taking, and critical thinking. Beyond the traditional sequence of introductory and intermediate mathematics courses, the department has introduced a range of courses that include investing, linear algebra, and probability and combinatorics. Students also have the option of pursuing Advanced Inquiries in Applied or Pure Mathematics as seniors. The department would embrace new faculty who have a passion for student-centered teaching and learning and an interest in contributing to an innovative mathematics curriculum. For all positions, we look for candidates who enjoy working with colleagues in a collaborative environment; are flexible, creative, and adaptable; demonstrate a willingness to fully engage in the life of the school in and outside of the classroom; and are committed to fostering a culture of belonging for all students under our care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching: A full-time load is four classes.
- Advising: Each faculty member is an advisor to 8-9 students, serving as the communications link among the student, faculty, and family. Advisors meet regularly with advisees to discuss their academic progress, extracurricular activities, and any other concerns that arise during the year.
- Extracurricular Duties: Faculty members often take on responsibility for advising clubs, school publications, community service activities, and other programs that enhance the educational experience of the students.
- Coaching: Faculty are not required to coach in the after-school athletic program; the ability to coach would be an asset, and coaching is strongly encouraged.
Founded in 1925, GFA is situated on a former Vanderbilt estate in a scenic 44-acre waterfront campus located in Westport, CT. GFA is a suburban school close to many transportation options and a five-minute walk from the Greens Farms Metro-North train station. The campus sits a half-hour south of New Haven and an hour north of New York City by car or commuter train.
At GFA we are committed to a policy of equal employment for all applicants. As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive school, we recruit and hire applicants with diverse backgrounds. Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume through this application form (you will need a Gmail account to upload your resume and cover letter in a single PDF file). Please address the cover letter to Sue Teyan, Associate Head of School.
- At least three years of experience teaching mathematics.
- An advanced degree in mathematics or a related field.
- Demonstrated capacity to teach a range of courses in the mathematics curriculum.
- Experience coaching students in sports is a plus