Location: Seattle, Washington
Type: Full Time
Salary: Range: $68,225 - $119,165
4 Year Degree
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in north Seattle, Washington, is currently recruiting for a full time Middle School Digital Life/Technology Teacher. Lakeside is seeking an energetic and creative educator to help develop the students' creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits needed to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. Applicants should share Lakeside's commitment to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse culture and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the importance of lifelong learning.
The goal of Middle School technology education is to ensure that all students have the computer and multimedia skills needed to support their academic work and to provide a strong foundation for our student’s digital lives. Like technology itself, the Digital Life courses are ever-evolving and focus on fundamental computer skills, digital literacies, computational thinking and coding, engineering and design and ethics and artificial intelligence.
The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with colleagues that are creative and committed to seeking ways of effectively serving a diverse student body and delivering curriculum and pedagogy through an equity and inclusion lens
- Provide support, messaging, actions, and opportunities to a diverse student body who come to school with different and evolving lived experiences and levels of preparation in their previous technology courses.
- Develop curriculum and teach Digital Life classes to 6th and 7th graders in a developmentally appropriate and inclusive manner
- Design and implement an artificial intelligence and ethics curriculum
- Troubleshoot, manage and assist with student tablets
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Digital and Information Literacy Department on innovative curriculum development, pedagogy, and assessment
- Attend department and faculty meetings as scheduled;
- Act as an advisor or co-advisor to students and serve on a grade-level team;
- Participate in the life of the school community including outdoor trips, field trips, and service learning activities;
- Actively engage in professional development both in pedagogy, content area and diversity, equity and inclusion work.
- A degree and preferably a teaching credential in a field that embraces computer science, artificial intelligence, mathematics, or science
- Strong familiarity with a variety of programming languages and learning platforms for programming
- Proven ability to differentiate instruction to accommodate different knowledge bases
- Demonstrates a commitment to hands on learning; has experience working in an experiential learning environment; is comfortable with the use of hand tools, electronics, computer software and hardware, and various other technologies
- Enjoys a highly collaborative work environment that values academic rigor, innovation, inclusion and creativity.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness, including knowledge of themselves and the cultural lenses they bring to interactions. The candidate will understand different perspectives; interact respectfully with cultures other than their own; and cultivate meaningful relationships with people that have different cultural frameworks.
- Committed to being a positive and contributing member of the professional community
- Satisfactory completion of two criminal background checks.
- Proof of COVID vaccination and booster to human resources. Candidates requesting a medical and/or religious exemption should reach out to Human Resources.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and work history via the online application. Candidate cover letters should address the following questions: What attracts you to this job opportunity and what questions do you have about our community?
Salary and Benefits
Salary Range: $68,225 - $119,165
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding candidates and provides a competitive compensation package. Benefits include:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (based on FTE)
- Dependent medical and vision subsidy
- Retirement with generous employer contribution
- Life/disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Free lunch
- Free parking
- Bus/bike benefits
- Housing assistance program
- Reduced facility rentals
- Passport Corporate membership
- Computer loan program
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Use of school library and gymnasium
Working At Lakeside
At Lakeside we are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community. To learn more about working at Lakeside, including our professional development and mentoring programs, benefits, diversity and inclusion, and opportunities for involvement in non-academic programs, please visit our Careers page on the Lakeside School website.
Equity in hiring: According to various studies, women and people of color are more likely to not apply for a job if they see themselves as not meeting every requirement of the posting, which means employers miss meeting potentially ideal candidates. Lakeside School is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where employees from diverse cultures are affirmed and equipped to lead an inclusive learning environment for our students. Please apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement.
Connections working at Lakeside School
About Lakeside School
The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.