Location: Studio City, California
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
We’re looking for a Major Gifts Officer to join the Office of Advancement for the duration of a nine-figure comprehensive capital campaign, which centers upon the development of our third campus, Harvard-Westlake River Park, in addition to major initiatives for financial aid, faculty and staff support, and Annual Giving. In this position, you will report to the Director of Major and Planned Giving and work collaboratively with the Campaign Director and other members of the Major Gifts and Stewardship teams within the Office of Advancement.
Do you have experience with qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects with the ability to make $100,000+ gifts? As a frontline fundraiser, you will be a visible ambassador of the Harvard-Westlake community, becoming fully involved in the life of the school, and most importantly, work closely, effectively, and joyfully with parent, alumni, parent of alumni, and grandparent constituents. We employ a team approach to Advancement, so the Major Gifts Officer will work collaboratively within the Major Gifts team and with Trustees, administration, and other school leaders involved in securing financial contributions to the school.
As the Major Gifts Officer, you will:
- Manage a personal portfolio of 120-150 prospects, which may include alumni, current parents, parents of alumni, and grandparents
- Conduct 10 to 15 prospect visits on a monthly basis relating to qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship with the goal of securing major and planned gifts of $100,000 or more to the school
- Maintain regular and thoughtful contact with prospects and donors, and record contacts and correspondence with prospects in a prompt and accurate fashion
- Partner with the Campaign Director to prepare reports, briefing materials, proposals, and related documents for solicitations and stewardship
- Collaborate with the Stewardship Officer to ensure that all major donors receive appropriate, consistent recognition and an accounting of the impact of their support
- Attend and staff Advancement events as required, including some evenings and weekends, with potential travel to events and prospect visits outside of Los Angeles
- Identify and support opportunities for all prospect managers to promote their prospect’s engagement with the School; this may include but is not limited to identifying prospects who attend Harvard-Westlake events, are involved in alumni activities, or interact with Harvard-Westlake community affinity groups
- Attend and contribute to various strategic meetings and discussions reviewing fundraising activities, strategies, operations, and other data to determine the efficacy of the advancement efforts across multiple areas
- Participate in the review and generation of the school’s Annual Report and other communications materials
- Become a visible ambassador of Harvard-Westlake and active participant in the life of the school both within and beyond advancement
We are an independent school consisting of two campuses located in Los Angeles, California. We have approximately 1,600 curious, thoughtful, and inspiring students enrolled in grades seven through twelve.
We are committed to creating a community of belonging and actively strive to be a diverse and inclusive community. We do not discriminate on any basis. We seek candidates who demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members; have an ability to work flexibly, independently, and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds; and have a capacity to serve as a model of openness, generosity, and acceptance.
What we’re looking for:
- Deep familiarity with (and love of) Harvard-Westlake’s culture and community
- Ideally three to five years of experience with fundraising and soliciting individuals for major gifts; soliciting gifts of $100,000+ and/or experience with planned giving strategies and vehicles are a plus
- Embraces and appreciates opportunities to build relationships with colleagues, parents, alumni, and other affiliated families
- Exceptional ability to organize, manage, multitask, and meet deadlines, across varied projects and constituencies within a complex office/school calendar
- Collaborative and inclusive decision-making style
- Takes initiative with a positive, energetic, and entrepreneurial spirit
- High emotional intelligence (EQ)
- Calmness under pressure with sense of humor
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Computer fluency and high degree of comfort with Excel and relational/administrative databases
- Enthusiasm to become a visible leader for major gifts as part of a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive school community
- Bachelor’s degree
Schedule: This is a full-time, on-site position with a lifespan linked directly to duration of campaign, currently projected at 4-5 years. You will work primarily from the Upper School Campus located in Studio City, CA.
Compensation: Anticipated base compensation is $90,000 - $120,000 depending on experience.
- Top-tier medical, dental, and vision coverage with zero to low premium contributions
- 403(b) Retirement with a 10% match and immediate vesting
- Cafeteria allowance – lunch is on us!
- Professional development support including continuing education
- Personal Growth grants
- Relocation Assistance
- Employee affinity groups
- Mental wellness resources and workshops
- Partially subsidized employee housing (subject to availability)
- Tickets to local sporting and entertainment events
- Discount at the school bookstore (get your HW swag!)
- Paid Holidays, including time off for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring break plus vacation!