Location: Farmington, Connecticut
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
The Major Gifts Officer advances Miss Porter’s School’s fundraising efforts by securing major gift commitments from alumnae, parents and grandparents. He/she is responsible for the cultivation, solicitation and in partnership with donor relations, stewardship of individual prospects/donors at the five, six, and seven-figure level with the goal of helping to meet the alumnae and development office’s fundraising goals.
- Commitment to the mission and Community Call to Action of Miss Porter’s School and dedication to our effort to become an anti-racist institution. Demonstrated ability to work with and respect a diverse population of alumnae and colleagues across a dynamic educational campus.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with an assigned pool of approximately 150 major gift prospects and donors, with a significant focus on qualifying new major gift prospects primarily through face-to-face visits.
- Manage prospects in all aspects of the gift cycle including initiating contact with potential donors, developing appropriate strategies including working with volunteers, moving donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure and stewarding donors.
- Focus on securing support for a set of school wide priorities that include but are not limited to academic programs, scholarships, facility renovations, campus improvements, and unrestricted support. Work with the Alumnae and Development office to meet goals in all areas.
- Meet annual metrics and fundraising goals.
- Interact with the Porter’s community with a broad understanding of the goals and objectives of the school and the office. Foster and maintain productive relationships with other offices on campus with an active role in school life.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to the highest ethical standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years of professional fundraising experience. Demonstrated ability to personally cultivate, solicit and secure five and six-figure gifts.
- Candidates with a background in marketing, sales, or law would be considered.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team, even when traveling and working remotely.
- Ability to interact with all levels of the school community: Head, senior administrators, faculty, staff, trustees, alumnae, volunteers and friends of the school.
- Strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Flexibility and appreciation of humor.
- A strong commitment to education generally and boarding schools specifically.
- Boarding school graduate or parent is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
- Sitting at a desk and using a computer much of the time.
- At events, time spent standing/walking.
- Domestic travel required.
Connections working at Miss Porter's School
About Miss Porter's School
Miss Porter's School educates young women to become informed, bold, resourceful and ethical global citizens. We expect our graduates to shape a changing world.
In keeping with our founder's vision, Miss Porter's School joins tradition with innovation to provide an exemplary education to young women. Generation after generation, our leadership is defined by our ability to articulate how young women think, how young women learn, and why gender matters. Within our legacy lies our future.
Our Core Characteristics:
The Miss Porter's School community cultivates and commends the following core characteristics:
• Intellectual Curiosity
• Global Citizenship