Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
Based on experience
4 Year Degree
The Chapin School’s Senior Accountant and Financial Aid Specialist is responsible for the processing of all cash receipts, maintaining student accounts, responding to account inquiries, and resolving billing problems. This position will also manage the online enrollment process and collect and analyze all financial aid applications.
Accounts Receivable and Financial Aid
- Coordinate the online enrollment and re-enrollment processes, working closely with the Admissions Office, Division Heads, the Technology Department, and outside consultants.
- Ensure timely posting and collection of signed contracts and enrollment deposits and follow up on enrollment extension requests.
- Communicate, maintain, and monitor all enrollment status changes and ensure all parties are kept apprised of the necessary information in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate and ensure the timely availability of forms and information needed for families to apply for Financial Aid both on the school’s website and through our third-party FA portal.
- Prepare summary documents including recommendations of FA grants to be reviewed by the Controller and CFO.
- Handle communications with families regarding FA applications, grants, and other requests for additional FA.
- Preparing reconciliations, journal entries, analysis, and assisting with audits.
- Coordinate the processing of all aspects of monthly and bi-weekly payrolls including contribution reporting for flex spending accounts for approximately 200 employees
- Using Paychex Flex, enter payroll-related information for New Hires, Terminations, and Assignment Changes and special payment requests for both the monthly and bi-weekly payrolls
- Review check requests and timesheets for accuracy and approvals
- Process voluntary defined contribution changes in the payroll
- Work closely with the Director of Human Resources to maintain accurate personnel and benefits changes related to payroll
- Calculate pay adjustments related to employee leaves and coverages
- Communicate with department heads, supervisors and faculty/staff via email and in person regarding payroll changes, errors, etc.
- Process annual employee benefit changes related to annual open enrollment
- Onboard all new hires into employee benefit programs including but not limited to health, dental, vision and retirement plans
- Responsible for terminating employee benefits for all departing employees
- Prepare standard and ad hoc reports utilizing Paychex Reporting
- Assist with various audits and provide information as needed
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
- Experience with payroll
- Proficiency with Excel, knowledge of Blackbaud and TADS, and basic database computer applications
- Attention to detail and accuracy and ability to follow through
- Excellent organizational skills with a particular ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a collaborative team
- Demonstrate initiative and a positive, helpful attitude
- Strong communication, interpersonal, problem solving and analytical skills
Connections working at The Chapin School
About The Chapin School
The Chapin School is dedicated to empowering a diverse, ambitious and resolute community of young women to thrive and lead in their world. Guided by our motto, Fortiter et Recte, Chapin considers bravery, compassion, service and respect for self and others to be fundamental values. We believe that equity, inclusion and collaboration are critical to personal growth. By advancing and deepening each student’s agency, confidence and resilience within an affirming and joyful learning environment, Chapin strives to ensure that each student is emboldened to pursue distinction as a leader and contributing citizen.
The Chapin School, founded in 1901, is an independent, all-girls day school in New York City currently serving 802 students K–12.
Chapin’s signature Focus Forward strategic plan, which guided our work for more than a decade, intensified Chapin’s historic commitment to offering the most challenging academic curriculum while also teaching the social, emotional and other skills that will set the stage for its students’ success in this century. Chapin’s institutional priorities continue to be imbued with the spirit of Focus Forward. We have fine-tuned our... articulation of the School’s purpose as we approach the third decade of the 21st century. A forward-focused learning community whose symbol is a wheel will never cease to strive toward achieving its vision of cultivating in girls the skills and attributes that will allow them to be brave for themselves and for others.
UNDER ONE ROOF
Chapin’s single building provides a unified learning environment under one roof for all students, the 128 faculty members who teach them and the 85 staff members who support all other aspects of school life. An ambitious construction project to be completed in 2020 will feature an entire floor dedicated to the arts and a gymnasium with suspended running track—all with spectacular views of our urban location. The Hayot Center for Innovation, to open in 2020, will provide our entire learning community the opportunity to extend our commitment to interdisciplinary inquiry-based investigations and explorations, deepening students’ interests through experimentation, invention and the development of out-of-the-box solutions to complex issues.
Our vibrant, inspiring and welcoming new spaces will further our commitment to a forward- focused learning environment that enables all students to embrace the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century to the best of their abilities. With these exciting new spaces as a canvas, we renew our pledge to develop curriculum and pedagogy that reflect current research and best practices, always placing each student at the center of her own learning.