Location: Belmont, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Inspire and challenge. At Belmont Day, we foster intellectual curiosity, honor differences, and empower meaningful contribution with excellence, respect, honesty, responsibility, caring and joy.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF INNOVATION
Belmont Day School seeks a full-time assistant director of innovation to promote an innovative culture that cultivates empathy, anti-bias mindset, curiosity, self-advocacy, creativity, iteration, innovation, tinkering, and entrepreneurship. The assistant director of innovation provides teacher coaching and direct instruction to advance Belmont Day’s design thinking efforts and promote its maker space, the Impact Lab.
A successful candidate will possess qualities that enable them to skillfully innovate, collaborate, teach, and coach faculty and students. This individual will also have experience in curriculum design, teaching at the lower elementary and middle school levels, and implementing the principles of design thinking and project-based learning in schools.
This is a full-time, exempt, and benefit eligible position. It is a ten-month position and reports to the director of innovation. This position is not eligible for employer-sponsored relocation.
- Act as a faculty guide and coach to encourage, inspire, and support teachers in their exploration of purposeful technology integration and use of our Impact Lab as they develop project-based learning curriculum
- Collaborate with the director of innovation to design, coordinate, and provide design thinking and technology professional development for faculty
- Develop and implement scope and sequence of coding, technology, Impact Lab and design thinking skills
- Develop training and support materials for use of Impact Lab tools and resources for teaching faculty and students
- Collaborate with the director of innovation and librarian to support curricular and co-curricular student programming focused on the integration of technology, iterative process, design thinking, and maker skills both in the Impact Lab and directly in classrooms
- Oversee scheduling, budget, and overall management of the Impact Lab, including establishing best practices and protocols for the space in coordination with the director of innovation
- Teach lower school (kindergarten to grade 5) technology classes and middle school (grades 6 to 8) digital arts classes
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment that meets the needs of a diverse population of students and engages all Belmont Day School students in technology and maker concepts
- Collaborate with administrative departments on projects, events, and initiatives involving the Impact Lab as needed
- Knowledge of design thinking and project-based learning (PBL) principles and experience helping faculty design curriculum that applies these practices to teaching and learning
- Student-centered, culturally proactive, and responsive pedagogy in which all students are met where they are, and see themselves represented and valued
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Familiarity with coding as well as the use and maintenance of the equipment typically found in an innovation lab, including 3D printers, vinyl cutters, and laser cutters
- Willingness to research, learn, and share new technologies with students and faculty
- A “next practice” mindset that understands how teaching and learning are changing and how practices should adapt
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Bachelor's degree required; additional training and experience in a related field preferred
- Experience teaching at the lower and middle school levels
- Experience designing activities and curriculum that use the equipment typically found in an innovation lab, and conducting professional development in these areas
Please submit a cover letter specific to this position along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a nonsectarian institution. The school is an equal opportunity employer. The school complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities, and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability.
Connections working at Belmont Day School
About Belmont Day School
Belmont Day School is a pre-kindergarten through eighth grade independent school in founded in 1927 by a group of parents committed to providing children with an excellent academic foundation and many opportunities for creative expression. We value honesty, caring, joy, responsibility, respect and excellence.