Location: Leadville, Colorado
Type: Full Time
Competitive salary, $29,000 - $43,455 depending on experience + on-campus housing (stipend if a campus residence is unavailable)
4 Year Degree
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
The High Mountain Institute is seeking a Mathematics Faculty, a full-time teaching position in the HMI Semester. Responsibilities include teaching three to four sections of math (Algebra II, Precalculus, and/or AP Calculus), leading wilderness expeditions, and residential life duties.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Teach 3-4 sections of math each semester
- Co-lead wilderness expeditions in the Rocky Mountains and canyons of southern Utah
(7 weeks per year)
- Participate in weekly residential life responsibilities
- Mentor a math apprentice each semester
- Advise 4-6 students per semester
Position Salary & Benefits:
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 4%-9% matching retirement benefits after 1 year
- Summer vacation, early June to early August
- Wilderness leadership training opportunities
- Annual professional development opportunities
- Competitive salary, $29,000 - $43,455 depending on experience + on-campus housing (stipend if a campus residence is unavailable)
- On-campus housing is a condition of employment if available
About the High Mountain Institute Semester:
Founded in 1995, HMI is a nonprofit independent school with a focus on outdoor, experiential, and place-based education. HMI serves approximately 175 students per year across its high school, summer, and gap programming. About 30% of students receive financial aid and a similar percentage identify as people of color. All HMI students participate in extended wilderness expeditions lasting from 10-21 days. HMI is not a rehabilitative or wilderness therapy program. HMI students are high-achieving, healthy students seeking challenge, a strong community, and a deeper connection to nature. HMI has nearly 30 year-round staff, about half of whom live on campus. Learn more at: www.hminet.org.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion at HMI:
The High Mountain Institute is committed to building a more diverse and affirming school and outdoor industry. HMI is an equal opportunity employer that strives for diversity by honoring the differences of each member of our community. We seek to build a community (of faculty, staff, students, and trustees) that is ethnically, socio-economically, and geographically diverse and that brings a diversity of experience, background, talent, and perspective. People of color, LGBTQ and gender nonbinary people, and people with other historically-marginalized identities are encouraged to apply. Learn more at: www.hminet.org/dei.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Jill Gardiner, Administrative Manager & Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org and fill out the HMI Prospective Employment Form online. We will immediately begin our initial review of applications and will continue reviewing applications until the position is filled. Correspondence via e-mail is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a related field
- Willingness to acquire and maintain current WFR & CPR certifications
- Prior math teaching experience
- Prior experience in wilderness settings
- Fluency with and ability to embody principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Enthusiasm for working with teenagers in a residential setting
- Criminal and driving background check required
Connections working at High Mountain Institute
About High Mountain Institute
About the High Mountain Institute:
A semester school for high school juniors, the High Mountain Institute (HMI) combines the best of a traditional independent school with outstanding outdoor education. HMI connects students to the natural world and teaches them essential leadership and communication skills through participation in a rigorous, experiential academic program, extended wilderness trips, and an intentional community. HMI also offers a Summer Term for high school students and a variety of adolescent and adult programming. For more information, please visit www.hminet.org. We seek candidates who share our passion for educating to the whole student.