Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Salary: $80,000 - $90,000 Salary/Year
Dean of Students
4 Year Degree
Gann Academy is a pluralistic Jewish high school that challenges students to cultivate their talents and interests in all areas of human potential: intellectual, artistic, spiritual, and physical. Our faculty, comprised of Jewish and non-Jewish educators, facilitates the student journey. We seek teachers committed to collaborating and growing in their teaching practice; supporting diverse learners in the classroom; and connecting with students outside the school, formally and informally.
Gann Academy is committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe including diverse perspectives will improve our work, societal, and learning outcomes. All employees participate in this commitment, whether internally, in building a welcoming workplace culture, or externally, in ensuring inclusive engagement with families and other community members.
Perhaps most of all, Gann offers a community of intelligent, collaborative, and compassionate professionals who care about their work, school, and colleagues. We help one another learn, solve problems, and have fun.
The Dean of Students for 9th Grade is the point person for all matters related to 9th Grade. The position involves communicating with incoming 9th-grade parents and students and serving as an internal liaison with Gann programs and departments. Most importantly, the 9th Grade Dean introduces and upholds the fundamental values and unique student culture that are a hallmark of our school.
- Lead all communications between student enrollment and matriculation, supporting the admissions team and school faculty as they onboard new students
- Serve as the main point of contact for students and parents in grade 9
- Manage advisory program grade 9
- Manage student discipline for grade 9
- Manage and lead school-wide student programming grade 9
- Participate and lead student programming
- Develop relationships with students and families in grade 9
- Plan and lead 9th Grade orientation and the 9th Grade Shabbaton
- Serve as a liaison to the Learning Center, Nurse, Athletic Director, School Counselor, and Gann faculty
- Support Admissions Team in Open House, interviewing and touring prospective students, and participating in all admissions programming (parlor meetings and Revisit Day)
- Develop and maintain the student code of conduct and student handbook
- Consider how to introduce students to Gann culture and participate in onboarding activities for the 9th Grade as part of culture building
- With the Director of Jewish Student Life, help develop goals of Jewish identity-building
- Work on systems of behavior and support
- Participate in Student Support Team meetings (SST meetings)
- Work with clubs, Student Council, and other student groups
- Teach one class or equivalent
- Serve as an advisor to a group of 9th-grade students
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3-5 years (teaching) experience working in high schools
- This position would be an excellent match for a classroom teacher
- The ideal candidate enjoys working on student culture, discipline, and communication.
- The individual should appreciate transparent and proactive parent communication and enjoy supporting families through the high school experience
- Must be proficient in English to carry out work as assigned
- Competitive salaries
- Professional development
- Comprehensive benefits package featuring generous paid time off policies -including sick time, paid vacation, personal days, and U.S. holidays, Gann employees get up to an additional 15 days off for Jewish Holidays, depending on the Jewish Calendar of the year
- Short Fridays
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Retirement Plan Match (403B) starting immediately!
- Hungry? Gann has a full-service kosher dairy dining hall complete with a fresh salad bar and multiple hot meal options
- Free parking!
- Fitness facilities for our faculty and staff
- Life Insurance
- Short - and Long-term disability
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Physical demands include dexterity for office machine/supply operation, including but not limited to computers, telephones, electronic calculators, copy machines, and printers. Stooping, bending, reaching for files or supplies, and sitting or standing for extended periods are common.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Gann Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the school to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression), and pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot ensure that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA), so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed Form I-9.
Connections working at Gann Academy
About Gann Academy
Gann Academy is a pluralistic Jewish day school that challenges students to cultivate their talents and interests in all areas of human potential: intellectual, artistic, spiritual, and physical. Our faculty made up of both Jewish and non-Jewish educators facilitate the student journey. We seek teachers who are committed to collaborating and growing in their teaching practice; supporting diverse learners in the classroom; and connecting with students outside the classroom, both formally and informally. In growing our department, we are particularly interested in expanding the diversity of voices in our literature faculty. We are also interested in candidates who can help the department envision opportunities for collaboration across the humanities.
Gann Academy is an independent high school in Waltham, MA that offers a competitive, and comprehensive benefits package featuring generous paid time off policies – paid vacation, paid sick days, and roughly 20 additional paid days off - based on the Jewish calendar. It is truly a unique and generous benefits package offered only at Gann! Employer match Retirement (403B), and Health and Dental insurance, are just a few of t...he benefits offered to eligible employees upon day one of joining the Gann community.
Hungry? Gann has a full-service kosher dairy dining hall complete with a fresh salad bar and hot bar. Gann offers an attractive physical environment with bright spaces, FREE parking, and extensive fitness facilities available for our faculty and staff.
Gann celebrates a community of smart, collaborative, and compassionate professionals; Gann staff/faculty tout the support and teamwork of their colleagues as a highlight of their Gann experience and one in which Gann is different from any other school or community. Come find out for yourself!