Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought • Confident in Expression •
Compassionate in Spirit • Collaborative in Action • Honorable in Deed
Position Title: Upper School Latin Teacher
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
Position Purpose: An Upper School Latin teacher teaches four sections of Latin within the busy life of the Upper School, utilizing their curricular expertise to help students love learning, and to create inclusive and empowering classroom spaces in which all students are challenged to grow. Upper School faculty are also expected to engage in the broader life of the Division, with demonstrated commitment to engaging students in advisory and other co- and extra-curricular spaces. We are seeking candidates for a full-time position to join our community beginning August 2023. This is a 10-month position with an excellent array of benefits and a competitive salary.
We are seeking candidates who…
- Have at least two years of experience teaching students in grades 9-12 using best pedagogical practices
- Hold a degree in Classical Languages or related field.
- Are excited to work with and support Upper School-aged students (Grades 9-12).
- Demonstrate a commitment to student-centered learning.
- Demonstrate a collaborative and growth mindset as a teacher and professional.
- Possess the cultural competency necessary for working with a diverse population in an equitable and inclusive community.
- Demonstrate the flexibility to use technology in support of student learning and other professional responsibilities.
- Communicate well, both in writing and verbally, with colleagues, students, and families.
- Model a culture of flexible, continuous learning to challenge and support students.
Core Job Responsibilities
This role is a full-time teaching position with the following major responsibilities:
- Teach 4 sections, ranging in level from Latin 1 to Latin 4.
- Serve as homeroom advisor for a group of Upper School students.
- Be a leader in the school’s co-curricular program in meaningful ways outside the classroom by coaching, leading extra-curricular activities, etc.
- Other responsibilities including attending regular faculty meetings, professional learning communities, in-service days, and other supervision duties as assigned.
Connections working at Germantown Academy
About Germantown Academy
Germantown Academy, located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania. The Academy, founded in 1759, is a non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory school of more than 1,200 students in Grades PK-12, located in the northwest suburbs of Philadelphia on a campus of 126 acres. At Germantown Academy, we are committed to creating a learning environment that is as diverse as the broader, global world of which we are a part. We value this diversity because it makes us a stronger community, enriches our thinking and helps us to develop our collaborative spirit.