Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Greensboro Day School develops the intellectual, ethical, and interpersonal foundations
students need to become constructive contributors to the world.
Greensboro Day School believes:
• in a community based on Respect, Kindness, Integrity, and Responsibility. These
Community Cornerstones provide a set of shared values and a common set of
expectations for everyone at GDS;
• that learning should have a public purpose. Our students are involved in the
community and are encouraged to connect classroom learning with real-world issues
in Greensboro and beyond;
• in the importance of a diverse community of belonging where every student is known,
respected, and valued for their authentic self.
Founded in 1970, Greensboro Day School serves 887 students from age 2 to Grade 12 and is located in the bustling city of Greensboro, North Carolina. Head of School Tracie Catlett is currently in her fourth year leading the School, which has witnessed enrollment growth of 18% over the last four years and is in the midst of a $27 million comprehensive campaign that will fund three major building projects.
Greensboro (population 300,000) is the largest city in the Piedmont Triad, which also includes Winston-Salem and High Point, where Volvo Trucks, Honda Jet, Kontoor Brands (Wrangler and Lee Jeans), Biscuitville, and Fresh Market are headquartered. You can be in the Blue Ridge Mountains in two hours and on one of North Carolina’s beautiful beaches in three.
At this time, the School is seeking a new Chief Financial Officer, effective July 2023. Reporting to the Head of School, the new CFO will serve on the executive leadership team and work closely with the Head, Board members and other administrators overseeing all financial and most operational aspects of the School. The School employs 158 faculty and staff members and has an operating budget of $18.8 million and an endowment totaling $15.9 million.
Opportunities and Challenges
The new Chief Financial Officer will manage a Business Office of five individuals, including the Controller, Director of Human Resources, Accounts Payable Manager, Student Billing & Financial Aid Manager, and Bookstore Manager. Additionally, s/he will oversee the Director of Facilities and provide financial oversight to the directors of Summer and After School programs. Finally, the CFO will collaborate with the Assistant Head of School for Operations, who oversees Food Service, Safety & Security, Transportation, Health Services.
Three of the five Business Office members have been with the School for roughly a year. A top priority for the new CFO will be to meld this group into a cohesive team that has well-defined individual roles. There is a desire within the office for cross-training and overall teaching and mentorship. Developing a closely-knit group will require a clear vision, a strong desire to collaborate, and excellent communication.
The School’s $27 million comprehensive campaign, Be BOLD, seeks to raise $25MM for capital and $2MM for endowment. The campaign will provide for the construction of a new Preschool Center (18,000 square feet, breaking ground in April 2023), a new maintenance facility, and a new Center for Student Life, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation (currently in the design phase and projected to be 45,000 – 50,000 square feet). Thus, the CFO will be working closely with architects, contractors, and
the Director of Facilities to ensure that these key projects are built on time and within budget. The new CFO must be a strong communicator, able to speak easily and clearly to everyone from the Chair of the Board to the custodial staff in the gym. Additionally, s/he must be a responsive team member and a visible presence on campus, known to faculty and staff along with current parents. Such a presence will help develop both trust and transparency concerning the office and the financial aspects of the School.
The new CFO must forge strong working relationships with the Head of School, reporting staff, and other senior administrators. S/he will be the chief staff liaison for two standing Board committees, Finance & Audit and Buildings and Grounds, and the Construction Sub-Committee. Building easy, interactive, and responsive relationships with this broad assembly of individuals will be critical to the new CFO’s success.
In addition to embracing Greensboro Day School’s mission, supporting its Head and leadership, and representing the school at professional and public forums, the new CFO has a number of primary responsibilities:
• Provide strategic leadership, analysis, and management of finances and operations.
• Establish financial and capital strategies that are consistent with the strategic priorities.
• Serve as a strategic partner with the Head of School committed to the School’s mission and theHOS’s vision.
• Serve on the Head of School’s Executive Leadership Team and lead, co-lead, or participate in several other teams and committees.
• Oversee all business office functions including all financial reporting to the Head of School, Board of Trustees, and various committees.
• Serve as chief staff liaison to several Board committees.
• Build and/or maintain the school’s short- and long-term strategic financial models.
• Oversee the administration of the school’s endowment.
• Oversee revenue generating operations, maintenance, and vendors.
• Maintain strong relationships with banks and lenders to ensure that funding is secured for the needs of the school and compliance with loan terms.
• Administer and manage all employee benefit programs including health insurance, retirement, worker’s compensation, life insurance, and other related plans.
• Manage insurance programs including property, casualty, medical, workers’ compensation.
• Ensure compliance with all local and state reporting requirements.
• Collaborate effectively with the Chief Philanthropy Officer, Enrollment Management staff, and other departments.
• Coordinate closely with the Facilities Director on oversight of the physical plant, grounds, and construction functions.
• Participate in professional development.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; MBA preferred;
• Experience as a CFO in an independent school preferred;
• A trusted advisor to the Head of School;
• Strong financial acumen, gifted in both annual budgeting and financial forecasting and planning;
• A compassionate leader with high emotional intelligence;
• A creative and strategic thinker who identifies, pursues, and implements growth opportunities on behalf of the institution.
• A commitment to building community and living Greensboro Day School’s mission;
• Capacity and willingness to collaborate thoughtfully and the ability to build trust with colleagues, creating open dialogues and team-building morale;
• Sophisticated communication skills, both oral and written, and the capacity to respond in a timely manner to all stakeholders and tailor messaging based on needs and interests of audience;
• The ability to disseminate financial and budgeting information with transparency and clarity.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to contact the consultants in confidence. Candidates will ultimately need to submit the following materials as separate PDF documents:
• A cover letter expressing their interest in this particular position;
• A current résumé;
• A list of five professional references with name, relationship, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission) to:
John G. Clark
Practice Group Leader, Development & Finance Practice
Connections working at Greensboro Day School
About Greensboro Day School
Greensboro Day School is a dynamic, co-ed independent day school located in Greensboro, North Carolina. Our vibrant learning environment provides the backdrop for an academic program that teaches students how to think--not what to think. We prepare them not only for college, but for life in a global society. Serving 884 students age 2- grade 12, character and leadership development, unsurpassed facilities, award winning arts, and a competitive athletics program are all part of the Greensboro Day School experience.