Location: Mountain View, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: Based on experience
Manager level: 80K to 95K
Director level: 95K-130K
4 Year Degree
The Digital Communications Director is responsible for producing written communications, social media, and managing our website and print content to build awareness about Khan Lab School and help broaden the admissions and advancement funnels. This full-time staff position will engage with faculty, families and donors in their work. The Digital Communications Director shall oversee internal and outreach initiatives that broaden and enhance the visibility and public perception of Khan Lab School.
Duties and Responsibilities
The ideal candidate has completed a degree in communications or similar. Prior experience in a school environment is helpful but not required. All duties will reflect the overall strategic brand and marketing plan to ensure consistent messaging and visual identity. This candidate will work collaboratively with key members of our small marketing team and will have autonomy to inform the growth of key strategies around social media, public relations, and our website. The role is a unique opportunity for someone who has the existing capabilities to hit the ground running.
- Communications: Work with key members of school team to write, edit, and deploy electronic communications including parent newsletters, admissions newsletters, family association communications, Executive Director and School Head communications emails, updates and other regular electronic correspondences; develop and oversee website content, provide writing, proofreading and editing support to KLS’ administration.
- Social Media: Manage KLS’ social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, LinkedIn and Instagram, SmugMug); produce and regularly update social content (video, images, copy); assist in the development of our social media strategy as needed
- Content: Develop a content marketing strategy in collaboration with the advancement team. Produce original written content for event materials in support of admissions, administration; this may include fundraising appeals, invitations, and other specific program publications
- Public Relations: Collaborate with Director of Marketing and Strategy to help build a public relations plan and coordinate with regional media outlets to bring local awareness for KLS
- Events: Support the coordination and documenting of school events with school heads, Admissions, faculty and Family Association; document events with photos and video for use in social media and other communications; work with Creative Director to establish style that is on brand
- Technology / website and other platforms: Owner of website - Perform website updates embedding photos and video as needed; upload blogs; deploy email communications (currently through HubSpot); help launch marketing automation platform (platform TBD); maintain parent directories and email lists in Constant Contact; manage parent portal
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master's preferred with a communications focus.
- Excellent writing, proofreading, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience producing and posting content for social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc) required
- Video and photography skills and video/photo editing skills for social media
- Must be a self-starter, thorough and organized, and able to work independently while keeping in constant contact with the advancement team
- Must be comfortable working on multiple simultaneous projects
- Computer (Mac) proficiency required and familiarity with Google suites preferred
- Experience with HubSpot or other CRM
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop, a plus.
- Ability to work in a website content management system (CMS), or comfort to learn a custom CMS
- Direct experience with a marketing automation platform (e.g. Hubspot), or comfort to learn how to use both
- Must be available to work full-time in person, and be able to move between both campuses as needed (Palo Alto and Mountain View), with occasional events outside school hours.
Manager level: 80K to 95K
Director level: 95K-130K
To qualify, please submit an application and cover letter. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Connections working at Khan Lab School
About Khan Lab School
ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Located in Mountain View, California, Khan Lab School (KLS) is a non-profit, mastery-based school founded by Salman Khan in 2014 to extend Khan Academy’s student-centered philosophy into a physical school environment. Furthering his vision for Khan Academy, Khan wrote and published The One World Schoolhouse, in which he argues for mastery-based, blended, and mixed-age learning coupled with a departure from traditional letter grades. Today the KLS community is bringing that vision to life on its own campus and also sharing knowledge within education more broadly.
We currently serve 174 students ages 5-18. In each academic area at KLS, progress is decoupled from age; the time it takes a student to finish a course will vary but the depth of mastery is constant. We believe that students cannot “master” a course by performing well on one assessment. Instead, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of all skills and content before they can obtain foundational credit, thereby reducing the number of “gaps” in their education.
Every student is assigned to a mixed-age cohort, which they can expect to be part of for two to three years. There are currently... six cohorts across the school. Students also partner with faculty to explore their passions and deepen their learning. The quality of learning remains high but as a lab school, instructional methods are constantly being reimagined and tested. Learning is supported through weekly 1:1 advising, real-world application, and a culture that fosters student agency. Faculty and students do not simply adhere to the status quo in education. As a lab school, KLS is a model for innovation in education.
To learn more about us, please visit our website: www.khanlabschool.org.