Location: Meriden, New Hampshire
Type: Full Time
Kimball Union Academy seeks a school counselor who is a qualified, master level mental health professional who supports the mission of Kimball Union Academy “to create a deep sense of belonging for every member of our community. Through intentionally designed experiences and challenges, our students develop the knowledge, voice, and character to live with purpose and integrity.” Our school counselor would provide mental health care to the KUA community including individual and/or group counseling, school-wide life skills programming, coordination of student services and will provide consultation services to the school faculty to support the overall wellness of the student body.
ABOUT THE POSITION?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct comprehensive psychological evaluations that include but are not limited to the assessment of intellectual, developmental, academic, social/emotional, and behavioral status.
- Provide short-term individual counseling sessions.
- Collaborate and develop plans for individual student and keep case documentations.
- Maintain regular communication with parents to include psychoeducational information and intervention.
- Develop support groups for students as needed.
- Oversee the student peer educator program.
- Consult with teachers, advisors and student support team of students within caseload.
- Assist with school-wide preventative programming regarding mental health and basic wellness programs.
- Participate in the development of educational and community partnerships to improve the lives of students.
- Work in collaboration with a community that embraces diversity, provides equity, and ensures inclusion and belonging for all.
- Attend faculty meetings, department meetings, and other meetings required by faculty members and members of the Internal Health Committee.
- Provide crisis intervention.
- Join on-call rotation for emergency mental health needs.
Educational: Graduate degree in School Psychology, Clinical Social Work, Mental Health Counseling preferred with a minimum of 3 years of related experience. State licensure required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Possess a strong knowledge of the common diagnoses and treatments for school-aged children.
- Familiar with and can implement evidence-based practices in school and mental health counseling.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, faculty and administrators.
- Strong communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills
Connections working at Kimball Union Academy
About Kimball Union Academy
Kimball Union Academy, founded in 1813, is one of the oldest private boarding and day schools in New Hampshire and the country. We are building a culture where differences are valued and we celebrate multiple approaches and points of view. Our employees engage with diverse and talented students across the curriculum to become analytical thinkers, creative problem solvers, effective communicators and contributors. KUA blends the best of the New England boarding tradition with an innovative, modern educational program for a diverse group of day and boarding students from across the country and around the world. Located in the village of Meriden, New Hampshire in the heart of the Upper Valley, Kimball Union is minutes from Dartmouth College and has direct access to Boston and New York.
•250 Boarding & 90 Day Students
•From 28 countries
•Grades 9-12 & PG
•47 Teaching Faculty
•6:1 Student/Faculty Ratio
•12 Student average class size
•Average years of faculty experience: 19
•Faculty tenure > 10 years: 2/3
•70% of faculty hold advanced degrees