Location: Morristown , New Jersey
Type: Full Time
Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Director of Annual Giving facilitates the day-to-day planning, coordination, and management of all aspects of donor and volunteer relations for The MB Fund — the School’s annual fund, working to increase both the amount raised and the number of donors participating.
With the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality, the Director will develop a comprehensive annual giving strategic plan and be responsible for the successful management and execution of the program to achieve unrestricted and restricted financial goals. This includes setting and achieving goals for donor upgrades, retention and acquisition; and analyzing and utilizing data to make decisions about growth opportunities and resource deployment.
The Director works closely with other Advancement colleagues to create and implement a robust and thriving fundraising program to achieve, and ideally exceed, the goal for unrestricted and restricted funds each year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Director leads the successful project management of the annual giving plan which includes the creation of message development and copy for both direct mail and email appeals, segmentation of audiences, and target “ask” identification. The Director will work with volunteers and collaborate with Advancement colleagues to lead annual giving solicitations, including micro-campaigns and special appeals, acknowledgment and stewardship, and work toward a multi-year plan to increase annual giving support (both in dollars and participation percentages) from several MBS constituencies including parents and grandparents, past parents and grandparents, alumni, faculty, and staff, among others. This position assists with the identification and qualification of major gift prospective donors, and collaborates on the strategic marketing and outreach of planned giving to segmented audiences.
- Collaborate with the Director of Alumni Engagement and other fundraising staff to ensure integration between individual and group approaches, including class reunion appeals.
- Steward annual fund donors through recognition clubs and personalized acknowledgments for leadership, first-time, matching, and tribute gifts.
- In collaboration with other staff, produce the Annual Report of Giving.
- In collaboration with other staff, develop and implement appropriate cultivation and stewardship events for annual fund donors.
- In collaboration with other staff, create and maintain giving pages on the MBS website.
- Produce and manage the annual operating budget for The MB Fund.
- Occasional evening and weekend work, including events for Morristown Beard School alumni, parents, and donors.
- Occasional travel both in and out of state.
- Occasional writing for Crimson Magazine and other publications.
- Other duties as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A bachelor's degree with a minimum of five years ' experience in annual giving
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Demonstrated capability in strategic planning, data analysis, solicitation, project management, and volunteer management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Practical knowledge of annual giving operations and experience increasing donor participation
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to create and implement a demanding timetable
- Initiative and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The working environment is an office and school environment on a 22-acre campus. The ability to occasionally lift files and storage boxes, walk up and down stairs, attend meetings in varying locations throughout campus, and continually use computers and related office equipment is required. Not all buildings on campus have elevators.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connections working at Morristown Beard School
About Morristown Beard School
Morristown-Beard School is an independent, coeducational day school serving students from more than 85 communities and nine counties in northern New Jersey. There are 590 students in grades 6-12, with an Upper School enrollment of 435 and a Middle School of 155. Unwavering in its 125-year commitment to developing each student’s individual strengths, MBS is unique in its history and mission. Our outstanding, highly professional faculty are deeply invested in guiding students to reach their potential in the context of a life of balance and authentic learning and by harmonizing academic rigor with moral and ethical development. With small class sizes and individualized instruction, we have the ability to connect personally and intellectually with each MBS student in an intimate and inspiring academic setting. We believe that an education for the 21st century is an education in interdependent cultures, ethnicities, genders, economies, and religions. Our students are encouraged to recognize that we live in a world of inherent diversity, and to imaginatively reflect on what it means to act responsibly in and upon such a world. Drawing inspiration from the freedom and values of the School...’s curricular philosophy, faculty, and students come together inside and outside of the classroom to create an inclusive community.