Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Redwood Cooperative School seeks experienced assistant teachers with a strong work ethic who are interested in exploring teaching beyond the traditional classroom. Our ideal candidate has experience with and an understanding of Progressive Education and Project Based Learning. Candidates for application should value high levels of family involvement and be eager to form relationships with families, as a means to partner in the education of our children. Redwood assistant teachers help with the day-to-day operations of the class, plan lessons with the lead teacher and assist in the development of activities that support a curriculum that meets the needs of all of their students. Knowledge of current state and national standards are a plus. Candidates must value connecting children with outdoor educational experiences and be enthusiastic about taking children outside in all weather.
Redwood Cooperative School is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- Experience or familiarity with Project Based Learning
- Experience or familiarity with Progressive Education
- Experience or familiarity with Positive Discipline
- Skills in creating documentation and portfolios
- Experience or familiarity with anti bias and inclusive curriculum
- Strong skills in supporting social-emotional growth and facilitating conflict resolution with students, and being in respectful partnership with parents
- Familiarity with the philosophy of the school (amongst other things an inquiry-based approach to education in a non-competitive atmosphere), and an understanding of progressive education will be an asset
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined, professional, and energetic
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with students, parents and colleagues
- Ability to work as part of a close-knit team
- Bachelor's degree in education or a related field
- Understanding of child development and experience working with a range of needs and abilities
Connections working at Redwood Cooperative School
About Redwood Cooperative School
Redwood Cooperative School engages preschool through middle school students in hands-on, inquiry-based learning. Redwood maintains an excellent teacher-to-student ratio for personalized instruction and attention for all students. Redwood teachers facilitate active engagement in and out of the classroom and help develop a love of learning in all of our students. Redwood is a progressive education school, utilizing project-based learning and promoting active engagement from our community of families.