Location: San Francisco, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: $3,362.50 to $6,925.00 semi-mo
Salary is $3,362.50 to $6,925.00 semi-monthly ($67,250 to $138,500 if annualized) Placement on scale based on relevant teaching experience.
4 Year Degree
San Francisco Friends School, a K–8 Quaker school located in the Mission District of San Francisco, seeks a full-time, experienced lower school teacher for the first semester of the upcoming school year: end of August through the end of December 2023.
The San Francisco Friends School (SFFS), located in the heart of the Mission District in San Francisco, educates K-8 students in the tradition of Quaker learning. By example and commitment, we hope to inspire all connected with our school to work together toward a peaceful and caring society. For further information about San Francisco Friends School’s beginnings, mission and philosophy, please visit our website at www.sffriendsschool.org.
The school seeks teachers who resonate with the Friends School mission, which provides an exemplary education in a community dedicated to problem-solving, service to others, simplicity, social justice, and quiet reflection. Our Quaker mission also compels us to create a diverse and inclusive community; we seek a person who will thrive and contribute to such a community, both within and beyond the walls of the school.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate knowledge of and experience in hands-on and integrated learning; be highly motivated, hard-working, collaborative, and flexible; demonstrate a desire to learn; show initiative; and have a sense of humor. Candidates should have a strong pedagogical background and be invested in collaborating with colleagues and working closely with students.
In addition to having the required professional and educational background, we seek an enthusiastic, energetic candidate.
Essential functions of the role
- Collaborate with grade level team to plan and teach an integrated program, including literacy, writing, math, science and social studies
- Administer and analyze assessments to differentiate for a range of learners
- Collaborate with Developmental Services and outside support providers as necessary to promote student success
- Build community within the classroom and demonstrate clear and affirming classroom management
- Develop positive working relationships with students
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusivity
- Participate in Lower School committee work
- Co-write a bi-weekly newsletter about grade-level curriculum and activities; share students’ work with Director of Communications to post on social media
- Supervise students during lunch and recess
- Keep records to help support winter narrative writing and checklists. Complete in-take and late fall parent conference for each student, in addition to conducting more informal check-ins
- Understand and be committed to the school’s Quaker values and mission
- Experience teaching at the elementary level
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Passion for working with elementary school students
- Openness to and interest in Quaker philosophy
- Collaborative and creative team player
- Demonstrated knowledge of current research around teaching and learning
- Training in Responsive Classroom, Fundations, Contexts for Learning, Reader’s Workshop, and Writer’s Workshop, a plus
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The San Francisco Friends School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, marital status or any other category protected by law. The school also makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities; candidates who need accommodations in order to apply for this position should request an accommodation as part of the submission of interest.
$3,362.50 to $6,925.00 semi-monthly ($67,250 to $138,500 if annualized) (placement on scale based on relevant teaching experience). This is a full-time, temporary, exempt position.
Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, and term life insurance of $50,000 subsidized at 100% for employees; life insurance; long-term disability insurance; generous time off benefits including personal time, academic vacations, and sick leave; professional development.
Employment Clearances required:
- Livescan Background
- US Employment eligibility
- TB Clearance certificate
- COVID Vaccination status
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and three references, attention Amabelle Sze at https://sffriendsschool.applytojob.com/apply/C9jjvtkhcS/Longterm-Substitute-Lower-School-Teacher-Full-Time?source=NAIS