Location: Danvers, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
About St. John’s Prep
St. John’s Prep is an inclusive, Catholic, Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School for young men in grades 6 through 12. Founded on the Xaverian values of compassion, humility, simplicity, trust, and zeal, we educate students to be, do and stand for good in the world. We enroll approximately 1,500 students from more than 90 communities in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.
The role of a School Counselor for Social-Emotional Wellness is integral to our mission of “educating the whole person” at St. John’s Prep. A School Counselor for Social-Emotional Wellness provides support for students and their families during grades 6 through 12 at St. John’s Prep. More information about the School Counseling Department may be found here on the school’s website.
- Collaborate with parents, school counselors, and administrators to assess students in acute emotional and/or psychological distress.
- Provide clinical support for students on a short-term basis.
- Network with outside mental health professionals to build a diverse referral base.
- Refer students to outside mental health professionals.
- Serve as a liaison between St. John’s and outside counselors or therapeutic programs.
- Collaborate with school counselors, administrators, the Center for Learning and Academic Success, and teachers to develop appropriate strategies and support for students.
- Serve on student support committees.
- Support the efforts of the Community of Concern program at St. John’s.
- Facilitate professional learning experiences for faculty and staff.
- Participate in and create parent education programs on campus.
- Collaborate with other licensed mental health practitioners on campus to offer support groups for students.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to demonstrate and build collegial relationships across constituency groups on campus.
- Keen leadership, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Availability for some evening and weekend programs.
- Facility and high comfort level with advanced technology tools, including database programs, Google Workspace and others.
Education and Experience
- Five years of recent clinical experience with pre-adolescents and adolescents.
- Master’s degree in social work or counseling.
- Massachusetts state license in social work/counseling; LICSW preferred.
St. John’s Prep is committed to building a diverse and inclusive campus community. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups. We seek applicants who demonstrate a commitment to multiculturalism and diversity that is manifested in classroom practice, student engagement, interpersonal communication, and curricular decisions. For more information about our academic, spiritual and student life programs, please visit www.stjohnsprep.org.
Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, résumé and academic transcripts to Tracii Schaeublin, Assistant Head of School for Human Resources, at email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
Connections working at St John's Prep
About St John's Prep
St. John’s Preparatory School is conveniently located just 15 miles northeast of Boston in Danvers, Massachusetts. We are a Xaverian Brothers sponsored school educating nearly 1,500 young men in grades 6 through 12 from more than 70 communities throughout Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Our rigorous academic and extensive co-curricular program encourages students to develop their spiritual, intellectual, moral, physical, and creative potential, and inspires them to honor the diversity that enriches both our school community and the world beyond St. John's.