Location: Medina, Washington
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Open Position: Director of Athletics and After-School Programs
Direct Reports: After-School Programs Coordinator, Extended Day Coordinator
Reporting To: Director of the Center for Leadership & Innovation
FLSA Status: Exempt
When Needed: May 1, 2023
On-site or remote: On-Site
Pay rate: ranges between $90,000 to $110,000 / depends on education and experience
Why St. Thomas School?
You thrive in a face-paced environment, working alongside others who share your ideals. You are inspired by children and appreciate their joy and energy. You enjoy making an impact and being part of something bigger than yourself. You believe that schools should be among the most innovative places on earth. And you are committed to excellence and professional growth.
Who We Are:
Founded in 1951 and located on the east side of Seattle in Medina, Washington, STS is a private, non-sectarian school for Preschool through Eighth Grade students. Our educational journey is defined by a cognitively engaging program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. Our highly regarded curriculum prepared students to excel at future endeavors while honoring the schools long standing core values.
We commit to an inclusive and diverse community in which everyone can say, "I belong." We seek employees who are passionate, qualified, and offer diverse perspectives. We are particularly interested in the role education and a diverse learning environment play in promoting equity and inclusivity.
- A diverse, safe, and equitable school environment
- Actions and advocacy that support our Core Virtues
- Cultural competence, anti-bias, and social justice
- Intellectually curious and engaged global citizenship
As the Director of Athletics and After-School Programs, you will oversee all aspects of our Athletics After-School Programs, including classes, athletics, and camps. You'll lead a team of dedicated coordinators, coaches, and instructors to provide a safe and enriching environment for our students while ensuring alignment with our school culture and values. If you're a driven and innovative leader with a passion for education and athletics, we want you on our team!
- Oversee all aspects of the Athletics and After-School Programs department, including classes, extended day, and athletics for STS students, and summer and break camps for STS and the greater community.
- Provide the scheduling of all athletic contests and arrange for athletic transportation.
- Represent the school as appropriate at regional associations and Crosstown Middle School League meetings.
- Ensure the proper maintenance and security of all physical education equipment, athletic equipment, and athletic facilities, fields, and courts.
- Oversee the distribution, collection, cleaning, and storage of all athletic uniforms and equipment.
- Maintain records of team and individual athletic accomplishments and submit to the Development office for historical purposes, and Marketing for promotion.
- Maintain and revise a Coaches' Manual each year and set up appropriate meetings with the Coaches to review the information and standards in detail.
- Ensure alignment of after-school programs with daily school culture and acts as responsible administrator during after-school hours, from 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Directly supervise After-School Programs Coordinator, Extended Day Coordinator, coaches, and instructors, and provide oversight of Extended Day staffing.
- Maintain appropriate staffing and training for all After-School Programs, including hiring Athletics coaches and assistant coaches.
- Ensure the health and safety of all students in the physical education and athletic program.
- Develop and support registration materials and operating procedures for all After-School programs.
- Maintain accurate record-keeping and coordinate with the Business Office to ensure accounts payable/receivable and budgeting are up to date.
- Continually evaluate offerings to host relevant programs for students. Develop relationships with local partners and outside vendors to recruit supplemental programs and staffing.
- Maintain and revise a Summer Camp Manual each year and set up appropriate meetings with the instructors to review the information and standards in detail.
- Promote After-School Programs through ongoing partnership with Marketing.
- Communicate with all constituents regarding after-school activities (rosters, events, locations, times, pre-season information including expectations, required forms, etc.) in a timely manner with relevant tools.
Required Education, Training & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree, prefer an emphasis in education
- 2+ years experience supervising and coordinating extracurricular experiences at an Elementary and/or Middle School or similar environment
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the children and program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows environment using Microsoft Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
- Ability to work outside in all weather
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Local travel required (field trips, athletic events)
- Health Savings Account
- Dependent Care Spending Account
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Savings
- Winter Wellness Days (between Dec 25 and Jan 1)
If this sounds like you, we'd like to hear from you. Please click on Apply Now on our careers website and complete our online employment application. Then upload your résumé and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in and qualified for this position.
Position open until filled.
No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Thank you for your interest in St. Thomas School and this position.
Connections working at St. Thomas School
About St. Thomas School
St. Thomas School, a non-sectarian, Preschool through Eighth Grade school, is one of the oldest independent schools on the east side of Lake Washington. St. Thomas School’s educational journey is defined by a cognitively rigorous program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. Our mission is to develop responsible citizens of a global society. STS is a recognized leader in developing the whole student. Our core values include gratitude, responsibility, respect, courage, integrity, tolerance, compassion, perseverance, and generosity. STS serves over 300 students and boasts a 55,000 sq. ft. LEED Gold certified campus.