Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $51,453 to $94,327
The British International School of New York (BIS-NY) is a dynamic and nurturing community educating children in a stunning waterside campus in Manhattan. We are proud to welcome families from around forty countries to our school, which delivers a distinct and innovative curriculum, combining the International Baccalaureate and English National Curriculum. Alongside this rigorous and engaging curriculum, the school is also committed to providing a broad and inspiring wider programme in Sport, the Creative and Performing Arts and Community Service. The warmth of relations across the school and close, constructive co-operation with families are other essential ingredients in what makes the school such a great place to work and learn. September 2016 was the tenth anniversary of BIS-NY and this post arises because of the continued growth and development of the school. The school opened a new Upper School programme from September 2018 offering Cambridge International IGCSE and A Level courses. We are looking for talented, committed and enthusiastic individuals to join our exceptional team of staff and help make BIS-NY even better.
We are looking to appoint a well qualified and enthusiastic graduate with experience of working across the secondary school age range, up to and including A-Level. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence of having enabled students to make strong and sustained progress in English. One of the most rewarding aspects of working at BIS-NY is helping to enable the remarkable progress many individuals make in their time at the school. English is a popular subject in the school and we are seeking a colleague who will help enthuse students about the use of language, writing and the study of literature. The right person for this position will possess the skills, experience and drive to help students achieve their academic and personal goals. All staff contribute to the co-curricular life of the school and a willingness to be involved in the arts, sport and/or community service would be an advantage.
- Nurture a love of English Literature in students
- Equip students with the skills, knowledge and confidence to enjoy language and communication
- Teach English across the Middle and Upper School
- Contribute to curriculum planning in English across the school
- Support students requiring help with English as an additional language
- Work closely with the Head of Department to monitor, review and adjust provision according to the needs of individuals and groups in the school
- Help develop the use of technology and a range of teaching strategies to enhance student learning and engagement in English
- Bachelor’s degree in English Education, English or related field with minimum three years’ of experience teaching secondary level English courses using the English National Curriculum
- Relevant degree and qualifications (as noted above)
- Passion for English Literature
- Experience teaching secondary aged students
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and flexibility to manage a diverse and demanding workload
- Mobility to work within a team
- Well organized with good time management skills
- Ambition to help build an exceptional English Department at BIS-NY
Why work at BIS-NY?
Combining the IB, English National Curriculum and Cambridge International Examinations, BIS-NY ‘s unique curriculum inspires and challenges our students to develop a love of learning and develop as balanced individuals, academically successful and willing to take risks to face the challenges of an ever changing world of the 21st century.
Our students and teachers come from all walks of life, but the enthusiasm they share for learning and teaching helps to foster a unique sense of community that celebrates and thrives on diversity.
The British International School of New York is an IB World School authorised to teach both the PYP and MYP and we are looking to recruit creative and dynamic teachers who can model the IB Learner Profile and will contribute to the daily life of a diverse international community.
A strong commitment to collaboration and being part of a team is essential for those interested in applying to be part of our school community.
- Generous salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package – medical, dental, vision, retirement plan with employer match
- Lunch is provided free of charge
- Subject to fingerprinting and background check
- Up to $2000 annual contribution to Professional Development costs
- Relocation allowance available for overseas and out of state hires
- The post becomes available from September 2023
The British International School of New York is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. All appointments are also subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
To apply for this position, you will need to submit the following:
- A completed application form
The British International School of New York Application Form is available here.
When you have completed the application form, a pdf copy of it will be emailed to you with further instructions on how to upload it, along with your CV/Resume and covering letter, to our application platform AirTable, which can be found here.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3RD, 2023