Location: BROOKLYN, New York
Type: Part Time
Salary: $20.00/ Hour
After-School Teacher Position
The Co-op School was founded in 2003 by a group of parents who saw the need for a high-quality and affordable preschool option in the Clinton Hill and Fort Greene neighborhoods. Since then, the Co-op School has matured from a small, parent-run playgroup to a fully staffed and licensed non-profit school.
After residing in two prior homes in Clinton Hill, The Co-op School moved into 87 Irving Place in the fall of 2009. In 2011, The Co-op School launched the first kindergarten class of its elementary program at 40 Brevoort Place. In 2019, we opened our doors at 644 Gates Avenue in the Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhood—in a 3,500-square-foot building with a double-height gym, a rooftop library, and two playgrounds—housing our preschool, lower school, and middle school students under one roof.
The mission of The Co-op School is to inspire passion and teach children to become protagonists in their own educational journey by fostering their innate sense of curiosity and creativity. The Co-op School facilitates joyful learning through a unique and rigorous constructivist approach that listens to and honors the individual interests and strengths of each child. The Co-op School doesn’t just belong to the students and educators but extends to the family community as a whole. It belongs to those who participate in it and is a more resilient and creative place because of it.
The Co-op School is seeking a committed After-School Teacher to join our team from 2:45 pm - 6:00 pm Monday - Friday but can be flexible for the right candidate. We are looking for someone who possesses the following skills and qualities:
- Passionate about working with children
- A commitment to working with students ages 2- 12
- 2-3 years experience working with children in a preschool or elementary school level
- High School Diploma/GED Required-Ideal candidate has or will have a degree in early childhood or elementary education
- Enthusiasm for the opportunities and challenges inherent in working with children
- A positive attitude and flexible approach
- Work with the After School Director to ensure the Co-op School’s mission and values are upheld inside and outside the classroom
- Work with the After School Director, and teachers to ensure that the Co-op School maintains a healthy and safe environment in which the children can learn, play, and grow.
- Responsible for the daily operation of the after-school program including logging children in and out of the daily log book
- Lead activities during instruction time and play
- Responsible for maintaining a tidy classroom
- Work with the After School Director to ensure all students go to their scheduled enrichment classes
- Assist the After School Director, and teachers in fostering open communication between the staff and Co-op families
- Work with the After School Director, and teachers to ensure that all families and children are warmly greeted during drop-off and pick up
- Assist the After School Director, and teachers in maintaining a positive environment for other counselors and staff members
- Attend and complete all training required by the State Licensing Board outlined by the Department of Health or Department of Education
Hourly Rate: $20.00/Hour
Schedule: Monday-Friday 2:45pm - 6:00 pm
Start Date: ASAP
The Co-op School COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
We appreciate your interest in employment at The Co-op School. We would like to note that the School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination is required.
The Co-op School is an equal-opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, religion or religious practices, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, prior arrest or conviction record, genetic predisposition or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. Our policy extends to all employment practices including but not limited to, hiring, transfer, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, lay-offs, and termination.
Connections working at The Co-Op School
About The Co-Op School
We are a progressive constructivist program that teaches to the individualities of every child and every unique classroom. The Co-op School models its curriculum based on these following beliefs:
Joyful learning lays the foundation for lifelong learning and critical thinking.
Creativity cannot exist without passion.
Children learn best when they are invested in finding out the answers to their questions and when learning is embedded in meaningful contexts, which makes learning fun and engaging.
It is important to us to educate the entire child on all levels: emotional, social, physical, and intellectual.
Students work as a group and think as individuals, expressing feelings and contributing ideas peacefully and respectfully.
Students will leave The Co-op School confident in their ability to effect change in the community and comfortable reflecting on ways to challenge and grow themselves. As creative problem solvers, each with unique viewpoints and learning styles, students will embrace the idea of a more equitable world. We strive to inspire passion and teach children to become protagonists in their own educational journey by fostering their innate sense of curiosity and creativity.