Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
SALARY RANGE: $85,000 - $119,000 commensurate with experience
The Nightingale-Bamford School seeks an experienced and innovative teacher to join our Math Department.
Those applying should have a deep understanding and love for teaching adolescents. Candidates should be versed in varied pedagogical approaches to include but not limited to inquiry and project based learning. At Nightingale-Bamford, the Math Department works collaboratively to develop curriculum; applicants should be ready to work as a team. This is a school that values community involvement and an institution where teachers continue to learn and grow. Those applying should be committed to: continual development of the best math teaching practices and curriculum, inclusive pedagogy, and continued professional development. All Nightingale faculty members are expected to value diversity as a source of strength, to commit to equity and inclusion, and to contribute to the school community outside of the classroom.
Nightingale-Bamford strives to be a diverse community that prioritizes equity and inclusivity in our curriculum, hiring practices, and K-12 programming. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and identities. We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and from individuals of all races, nationalities, and beliefs.
This role reports directly to the Department Chair and Division Head.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Education or Mathematics
- At least three years or more of upper school teaching experience
- Ability to teach Calculus and Linear Algebra
- Understanding or growing knowledge of competency-based teaching and learning
- Must be highly analytical and possess a strong attention to detail
- Effective communication skills, both orally and written; an ability to communicate complex issues, as well as to maintain open communication channels with relevant stakeholders
- Ability to set and execute goals that align with the strategic vision of the department
- The successful candidate will be highly organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, strategic, professional and able to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- A shared understanding of the mission of the School and a demonstrated commitment to the core principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A passion for developing deep conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts, as well as student application of concepts learned
- Demonstrated cultural competence and an ability to understand, appreciate, and work with constituents across varied backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent attention to detail, professional attitude, good judgment, a high level of integrity and a strong work ethic
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Flexibility and initiative combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve institutional goals
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with all levels of constituents
- Excellent time-management skills
- A sense of humor and an appreciation of this trait in others
Connections working at The Nightingale Bamford School
About The Nightingale Bamford School
Founded in 1920, Nightingale-Bamford is an independent school for girls, enrolling 679 students from Kindergarten through Class XII. The schoolhouse consistes of 97,000 square feet with a regulation-size gymnasium, auditorium with computerized sound and lighting systems, state-of-the-art science laboratories, computer rooms and library technology. The school is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools.Full-time faculty members:92 Average tenure at Nightingale: 11 years