Location: Park City, Utah
Type: Full Time
Salary: Competitive with local market.
Position Overview: Park City Day School, an intimate, independent Preschool-Grade 8 school located in Park City, UT, seeks an experienced, creative, passionate, and enthusiastic educator to join our team as a Lower School Homeroom Teacher for 2023-24 school year (grade level placement TBD).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a homeroom classroom of approximately 15-18 students;
- Instruct students in reading, writing, math, social studies, and SEL in a hands-on experiential pedagogy with collaborative thematic units;
- Actively partner with the lower school specialist teachers to facilitate integration across subject areas;
- Implement the following curriculum programs:
- Fundations Literacy
- Bridges Mathematics
- Responsive Classroom
- Prepare weekly lesson plans including instructional objectives, learning activities, collaborative integration with specialist teachers, assessment, and use of resources;
- Use technology tools and resources to enhance, differentiate, innovate, and extend instruction;
- Implement effective classroom management procedures aligned with the PCDS “Strive for Five” values to create a classroom environment that promotes learning, nurtures age-appropriate development of social-emotional skills, and establishes a welcoming classroom culture consistent with our school’s mission;
- Actively lead, participate, and support outdoor education opportunities aligned with or as organized by the Outdoor Education Coordinator;
- Participate in the school community including collaboration meetings, weekly faculty meetings, professional development sessions, and special events. Responsibilities also include recess and lunch duties as assigned;
- Communicate regularly with families and complete a weekly newsletter;
- Utilize the Park City Day School Learning Management System (MyPCDS) to track and communicate student progress;
- Engage in work around diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB)
- Know and implement the PCDS Teaching Framework based on the Charlotte Danielson model in a Professional Learning Community (PLC);
- Adhere to Park City Day School policies and procedures as a professional educator and as outlined in the Faculty/Staff Handbook.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Evidence of strong curricular integration and collaboration;
- Possess knowledge in basic and applied research of the science of reading and the science of reading instruction;
- Understanding of thematic learning;
- Willingness to adapt to and utilize existing school curriculum and resources;
- Ability to develop and create materials for instruction when appropriate;
- Understand and successfully implement differentiated instruction;
- Possess knowledge of developmental characteristics of age level taught;
- Strong organizational, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Experience with technology use and application in a classroom setting;
- Experience and/or deep interest in implementing Outdoor Education opportunities, including extended overnight camping trips;
- Willingness to actively engage in regular school improvement work and training;
- Knowledge of the Charlotte Danielson Teacher Framework and its use in professional growth.
Application Process: Candidates will submit the following PDF’s to email@example.com.
- A current resume showing all relevant employment;
- A cover letter expressing interest in the position;
- A list of at least three professional references that can be contacted at the appropriate time.
- Optional < 3 minute video resume will be accepted
Personal and Professional Qualities: The successful candidate should possess the following personal qualities:
- Educational Expertise: PCDS teachers evidence a successful academic background and a mindset for lifelong learning and continuous professional improvement.
- Rapport with Children: PCDS teachers instruct in a broad range of curricular and co-curricular areas; however, the true subject (not object) of a PCDS education is children. PCDS teachers’ ability to connect, both individually and collectively, with children is critical to their success.
- Collegiality: Although the self-confidence and autonomy to plan and lead classes is essential, PCDS teachers collaborate with colleagues and share ideas to ensure that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. In peer groups, successful Park City Day School teachers serve both as contributing followers and respectful leaders.
- Engagement: As invested citizens of a school community and world network, PCDS teachers model the active intellectual and moral engagement necessary for a successful, sustainable society.
- Adaptability: To set a high standard in a world characterized by constant and rapid changes, PCDS teachers adapt creatively in response to institutional and global circumstances, advances in educational technology and innovation in instructional methods.
- "Strive for Five" School Values: Our teachers daily model our five School Values - Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, and Compassion - and actively integrate them into the fabric of our school community through reflective opportunities and other daily “teachable moments.”
- A minimum of a college bachelor’s degree is required; master’s degree preferred
- Coursework with an emphasis in education strongly preferred
- A minimum of three years teaching experience is strongly preferred
Connections working at Park City Day School
About Park City Day School
Park City Day School is an intimate, community-minded preschool through 8th grade independent school located on a sprawling eleven-acre campus in the world-class resort community of Park City, Utah. We fulfill our mission and achieve our vision through a highly-engaging curriculum, our diverse course offerings, enriching keystone programs, and a connected community.
A full member of NAIS and grounded in NAIS best practices, Park City Day School is also accredited by NWAIS (The Northwest Association of Independent Schools) and a member of the Round Square consortium of 230 schools from around the world.