Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Type: Full Time
Salary: Competitive salary + benefits
4 Year Degree
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
General Summary: Supports the School’s mission through teaching in the Upper School’s Science program, with a specific focus on Physics and Chemistry courses and/or Computer Science courses. Provides innovative instruction to meet a variety of student needs, in alignment with the School’s curriculum goals. Leads students towards fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, social, and physical growth and maturation. Performs complex professional work, while motivating students to develop skills in the area of Science.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Increases the academic performance of all students in the Science content area by creating a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students.
- Plans instruction consistent with the School’s approved curriculum for Upper School Science.
- Creates a supportive learning environment for all students that encourages social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
- Plans a program study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students.
- Collects, analyzes, and reports data on the effectiveness of Science instruction continuously.
- Works collaboratively with the Science team to advise, plan, and implement effective interventions.
- Prepares for classes as assigned and shows evidence of lesson preparation upon request.
- Establishes appropriate plans for substitutes.
- Develops appropriate formative and summative assessments to guide instruction and assess student learning.
- Provides regular feedback to students and parents, and uses assessment data to make instructional decisions.
- Works collaboratively with administrators to strengthen the Science program.
- Initiates, implements, and coordinates a variety of program components which will further enrich the School’s Science program.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve an optimal learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Promotes students’ educational and career objectives by providing individual assistance, preparing letters of recommendation, etc.
- Ability and desire to serve as an advisor to a small group of students.
- Attends and participates in professional meetings, including collaborative teams, division meetings, and professional development.
- Completes other tasks as deemed appropriate by the Upper School Administration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong content knowledge in Chemistry and Physics and/or Computer Science
- Secure knowledge of best practices in Science instruction
- Ability to differentiate instruction in mixed ability classrooms
- Strong classroom management skills with the ability and the desire to work with a diverse student body
- Ability to teach in a student-centered, lab and data-based environment
- Ability to mentor students at all levels of independent science research
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and maintain positive professional relationships
- Ability to read, comprehend, follow and give oral and written instructions
- Willingness to participate in the life of the School outside of the traditional school day (coaching, club sponsor, trip sponsor, etc.)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; energy and enthusiasm
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong degree of self- direction and motivation
- High level of maturity, confidentiality, and assertiveness
- Capable of using tact and diplomacy in dealing with others
- Capable of competently operating technology and probes to gather data
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Science or a STEM field; Master’s Degree preferred
- 3-5 years teaching experience
- Experience in educational technology
Connections working at University School of Milwaukee
About University School of Milwaukee
University School of Milwaukee is an independent, co-educational, college preparatory day school for students from prekindergarten (age 3) through grade 12. Current enrollment is 1,060 students. We welcome candidates that add to our diversity. University School of Milwaukee is an equal opportunity employer. More information may be found at www.usmk12.org.