Location: Seattle, Washington
Type: Full Time
Based on education and years of experience
4 Year Degree
Reports to: Director of Middle School
FT/PT/R/T: Regular, Full-Time, Academic Year
University Prep is seeking a talented, engaging, and compassionate Middle School History Teacher. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching history and thrives on working independently as well as part of a team. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you.
Who We Are:
University Prep (UPrep) is a 6-12 independent school in northeast Seattle, WA, one of the country’s most dynamic cities. We offer an intellectually rich education that fosters deep inquiry and critical thinking that is powered by student engagement. Our students graduate prepared for college and life. UPrep is a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni that joins together to support our students in becoming caring and productive adults. UPrep is a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and we aspire for all community members to feel like they belong. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are embodied in all facets of our school culture. We believe that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission to develop each student’s potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
- Teaches four middle school History classes each semester.
- Engages in curriculum design and development with other department members and colleagues to support the growth and development of our 6-12 grade program with a particular focus on the middle school sequence.
- Designs and delivers curriculum that supports our departmental and school commitment to social justice and global citizenship
- Provides classroom instruction and management
- Serves as advisor to 10-12 Middle School students
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, parents, and administrators as appropriate
- Actively participates in the life of the school
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Establishes and cultivates school community relations by maintaining open dialogue with all the school’s constituencies
- Vigorously engages in their own professional development
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in History, International Studies, Political Science, or related field required
- Experience teaching in a middle school or working with adolescents
- Teaching Certificate
- An advanced degree in education or the subject area
- 5+ years’ teaching experience
- Experience with technology in the classroom such as personal devices, laptops, etc.
- Experience with being part of a curricular and co-curricular team
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment to teaching the whole child
- Experience with curriculum development
- Ability to design and deliver history curriculum with passion and creativity
- Energy and enthusiasm for collaborative work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of the developmental needs of Middle School-aged students
- A working understanding of Universal Design for Learning, University by Design, and Grading for Equity concepts
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows or Mac environment using Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
- Comfortable with operating Audio/Visual equipment
- Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
- Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is $57,643 - $104,801 based on education and years of experience. UPrep offers a comprehensive and generous benefits package intended to support and promote the health and well-being, work/life balance, and financial security of our faculty, staff, and their families. Benefits are listed on our careers page and include: Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Employer-Seeded Health Savings Account or Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employer-Paid Long-Term Disability Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Employer-Paid Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer contribution and match after one year of service, Paid Time Off, Paid Parental Leave after one year of service, and Professional Development opportunities.
Click on Apply Now, complete our online employment application, and upload your résumé and a cover letter telling us why you are interested in and qualified for this position.
Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
University Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, disability, use of a trained service animal, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to admissions and administration of all its programs, as well as to all areas of employment.